DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HC7 wide angle lens & performance questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/110033-hc7-wide-angle-lens-performance-questions.html)

Antonie Koen December 12th, 2007 02:41 AM

HC7 wide angle lens & performance questions

I am interested in purchasing a Sony HC7. I have 3 questions in regard to this camera:

1.) Is it possible to attach a filter (polarizing) while the sony wide angle lens is attached to the HC7?

2.) As far Picture Quality is concerned, how big is the difference between the HC7 and the FX7? I realize that the manual control on the FX7 is much better but the HC7 is less than half the price.

3,) When it comes to low light performance, which is better? The FX7 or the HC7? (FX7 = 3 x 1/4 cmos & HC7 = 1 x 1/2.9 cmos)

Thanking you in advance.

Dave Blackhurst December 13th, 2007 02:19 AM

Antonie-
1. Yes, put the polarizer between the lens and the cam, a bit awkward, and sometimes a bit tricky to get the filter off afterward, but works fine. Just turn the lens for the polarizing effect.
2. Not big enough to justify the price difference for most. I mix the two cameras, and the FX7 definitely has a bit more "something" when viewed side by side... nothing huge. And the difference in manual control IS significant - the FX7 is a very sweet camera if you're looking for "user friendly" control.
3. IIRC the HC7 is rated a bit better in low light, I haven't tested in detail - offhand I think the HC7 can pull a bit more out of the dark (the CX7 is quite good in that department), but I think the FX7 stays a bit cleaner noise wise. drop the shutter to 30, the FX7 would probalby hold it's own.

Antonie Koen December 13th, 2007 02:40 AM

Thanks for your response Dave, much appreciated.

I am leaning more and more towards the HC7. I am planning on using it for a trip to the UK, doing a road trip through England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland and the small size of the HC7 makes it very attractive. The money I save when purchasing the HC7 will be better spend on some nice accessories for my trip.

Dave Blackhurst December 14th, 2007 01:27 AM

yeah, small is good for travel, etc. I know I find the "small" cam gets used because it's with me instead of sitting at home...

The FX7 is a sweet camera, but it's definitely not a discreet cam, where the HC7 just looks like a consumer cam, but is pretty versatile and controlable. I am as comfortable shooting with the HC7 after spending some time learning how to get the most out of it.

And yes, for the price of the FX, you can load up on the accessories - good WA, filters, a couple FH70 batteries, the wall charger, etc... and it all still fits in a small camera bag!

Antonie Koen February 29th, 2008 12:46 PM

Can I place a filter on sony wide angle lens for Hc7?

Does anyone know if the sony wide angle lens for the hc7 has thread for filters to be fitted and what will the filter diametre be?

Dave mentioned that I can fit a filter between the cam and the wide angle lens and that it can be a bit tricky so, I would like to avoid that if possible. Just trying to keep life as simple as possible, even if it costs me a few extra bucks.

Also, If there are any other good wide angle lenses out there for this camera I would like to hear your suggestions.

Looking forward to your advice.

Dave Blackhurst February 29th, 2008 03:29 PM

AFAIK none of the Sony lenses have front threading - the C "looks" threaded at first, but it's not - why they bothered to groove it and not thread it, I'll never guess.

I used a Raynox HD6600 Pro a few times, and it does have front thread, but needed an stepping ring.

and yea, I've put a polarizer between the camera and the lens successfully, it's just tricky if the filter decides to stay attached to one or the other and you've go to be careful getting it off! Works for me as I have a decent set of 37mm filters...

Antonie Koen February 29th, 2008 04:14 PM

Thanks again for your reply Dave.

Dave, which brand of 37 mm filters are you using? From what I have read, it seems like Hoya is a good brand when it comes to filters. Would you agree with that and what other brands can I consider?

Ryan Avery February 29th, 2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonie Koen (Post 835449)
Thanks again for your reply Dave.

Dave, which brand of 37 mm filters are you using? From what I have read, it seems like Hoya is a good brand when it comes to filters. Would you agree with that and what other brands can I consider?

Consider B+W filters. They are made from water white glass (99% light transmission vs 92% on most other brands) and use a brass ring instead of aluminum so it is easier to screw on and off and won't bind in extreme weather.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=544&IID=3324

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...D=548&IID=3335

Check out the sponsored sites here for a good deal below list price.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Antonie Koen March 7th, 2008 03:03 PM

Using Filter + wide angle lens simultaniously on HC7

Dave mentioned earlier in this thread that he sometimes fits a filter and wide angle lens at the same time on a hc7.

I would like to know with what filter/wide angle lens combination this will be possible?

Dave, which filter kit did you use with the Raynox hd6600?

I want purchase the goods and just want to make sure I get the right stuff before spending my cash

Antonie Koen March 8th, 2008 07:30 AM

I have been browsing around the B&H PhotoVideo's website and came across the Raynox 5050pro w/a lens and the hoya 62mm polarizing filter to go with this lens. Seems like 2 very good products. This w/a lens is 0.5 and the performance seems very good for the price ($89.95).