UCLF: Upgrading Camera Liberation Front of Sony A1U. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UCLF: Upgrading Camera Liberation Front of Sony A1U.

Dear Sony HVR-A1 users, the time has now arrived.
Its been a few months I have the blues because I think me and probably hundreds of A1U users have been mistreated.
The reason is: everytime I go on DVINFO.NET my camera is not in the category it should be.
And before Sony release a new camera to replace the HVR-A1U, our cameras have to be in the PRO department.
I dont't know if its a conspiration from user of other brands or even Sony owners of HC-1,5,7,9 linked with DVinfo.net administrator that are blocking A1U users the privilege to be in the pro section.
But before the United Nations security council takes over that problem, I want to show you my observation.
I know some people will say that the A1U is almost the same camera as HC-1 and even HC-7 apart the xlr and the mics, and I do believe them because I am planning to buy an HC-9 as a back up camera.
But I paid almost $2000 more than a HC-7 camera to have a pro camera. (in Montreal today HC-7 $999 and A1U $2499).And it was even $500 more before christmas for the A1U.
It is time that this injustice be repaired, Because if this mistake is not change in the next few weeks. I will still be a loyal user of DVINfo.NET and visitit my favorite site everyday, but I will send a memo to Oprah, DR Phil,
and maybe to Obi wan Kenobi if its my last hope.

And now the real truth!
If you visit Sony website you will not find the A1U on the page some camera users would like us to be.
Consummers camcorders

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...ionPath=n32080
But curiously the FX1 and Fx7 is in this page with the consumer HDR-hx7
On DVINFO.Net the FX1 and 7 are in the section
Professional High Definition Acquisition.

More truths
If you want to find the A1U on Sony's website you have to go to:
Broadcast and communication solutions, then
http://www.sonybiz.ca/solutions/Cate...egoryId=100102

But on DVINFo.NET it is on the section:
Consumer high definition camcorders
So if Sony website say it, then it is and must be the real truth.
I even found this interesting link on google wich confirm my theory that we bough a pro camera(and that it maybe used on the Space shuttle)
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...news_1-06.html

If I buy a professional barbecue, my hot dogs should and will be better than the ones of my neighbors who use regular brands. and its the same for Windex Pro glass cleaners: if they use it to clean F-18 canopy, then my living rooms windows will be and is the shiniest on my street. thats why Pro Windex cost $1 more than regular Windex and $2 more than no name brand.
Has it ever happened to you that some canon GL2 user, or more frequently Panasonic DVX-100 users tells you that your HVR-A1U is not pro, because DVINFO.net has said it. And what will happen the day you want to sell your cameras: the buyers will say the same things so they will want to give less money to by our beloved cameras.
So users of HVR-A1U(Americas), A1J(Japan and Asias), A1E(Europe)
lets unite and ask DVINFO.NET to place our cameras in the section it belongs with the XL-H1,P2HD and others.
Even the new HVR-HD 1000 have its own section(and we know this camera is the evolution of A1U)

And if you need inspiration listen the prophetic lyrics of this song by Chris De Burgh its on the album Crusader(1979)
the title song:Crusader
Then the priest said oh my bishop, we must put them to the sword,
For the webmaster in all his mercy will find a just reward,
For the noblemen and A1U users, and knights of ready hand
Who will be the lords crusader, send word throughout all the land,

Then the chamberlain said lord, we must call upon our foes
In spain and france and germany to end our bitter wars,
All camera men must be as one and gather for the fight,
You will be their leader, begin the battle cry,
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/chris+d..._20030230.html

and if its not enough and want more strenghts, watch the 6 movies of Rocky in a row,and start a new thread after.

I hope that a lot of you will join my noble new cause for 2008.
Thank you for reading
Martin

P.S my first language is not English but if you want to write or complete this manifesto or find a better name for our organisation, you are more than welcome.

Last edited by Martin Labelle; January 11th, 2008 at 02:21 AM. Reason: a weong link
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I believe that when Chris Hurd originally set up the forums, he divided the cameras between single chip cameras and 3 chip cameras. The A1U was lumped into the single chip category with the others even though it is marketed as a "professional" camera.

Some time later, Chris did some major housekeeping of the entire forum. He rearranged things and renamed most, if not all of the subforums. Unfortunately, this one got renamed "Consumer High Definition Camcorders" and the A1U stayed here because here is where it's always been.

I'm sure there was no intention on Chris's part to malign the A1U. I know of many of the "pros" here who have one or more for various situations to which it's uniquely suited. I'm certainly no pro, but I have one and love it! Even when I buy something bigger and better someday, I'm sure I'll hang onto my A1U as a second camera.

Aloha
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Bonjour Larry.

I don't consider myself pro also but I have a pro camera.
Its the same in photography I have pro body,and lenses but I am usualy an amateur who a few time a year does pro jobs.(but I am more pro in photo than video).Its just that its a question of principle and its my new cause for this year but I hope the cause will be over next month, so I can find a better cause.I don't think Chris is behind that, but who knows? maybe the problem is from a level higher than DVINFO.NET and Sony.
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sonybiz (pro) lists any camcorder with XLR inputs, it comes down to that. Sony.co.uk lists everything else, so the FX1, FX7, HC1 all go 'consumer' and the V1, Z1 and A1 all go 'pro'.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I humbly concede to the UCLF.

The forum category is now renamed, from "Consumer High Definition" to "Compact High Definition."

The only reason why I grouped the A1 with the HC1 in the first place was for the same reasons why I put the Z1 with the FX1 and the V1 with the FX7: because of their close similarities. I didn't want a situation where we were answering the same questions twice in separate boards.

However, putting the A1 into a "consumer" category was never the right thing to do and we even had this discussion once before. At that time, it was just a decision that we made in order to keep the A1 and HC1 threads under the same roof. Hopefully the change from "consumer" HD to "compact" HD will reflect better on what these camcorders really are as well as who the audience is that comes to DV Info Net.

Look for a change happening in the near future, though... we're looking into reorganizing things once again, this time dividing categories by manufacturer, so instead of "Pro HD Acquisition" etc. we'll group camcorders by badge (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Canon, etc.), though for now hopefully this will appease the concerns of the UCLF. Much respect,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Chris. I was all set to upgrade from my HVR-A1 to a "pro" camera, and now I see that I no longer have to. What a relief! ;-)
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series