DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Differences between A1U and HC7/9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/118403-differences-between-a1u-hc7-9-a.html)

Cliff Etzel April 2nd, 2008 12:58 PM

Differences between A1U and HC7/9

I know that the A1U has the ability for XLR, but other than that - are there any major differences between it and the HC7/9? Both are 1 chip cameras and both offer (albeit in different ways) manual white balance, audio levels, headphone and mic jacks, firewire. Are the chips different in size or makeup between the two cameras? I doing research for a short piece and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything as I can't find any major differences functionally between the two cameras.

Dave Blackhurst April 2nd, 2008 01:24 PM

Generally, the A1U is "first generation", the HC7 could probably be considered "second generation" if one looks aside the HC3/5 which were a step backwards. The HC9 is a refinement of the HC7 as opposed to a "new generation" (which would be the SR11/12)

IIRC the chip size is about the same physically, but the 7/9 have a higher pixel density. The later cams are a little bit better picture quality to my eye, and better in bad light conditions.

You could add a beachtek or maybe even the Sony XLR adapter from the A1U to the HC7/9 if you need XLR.

The A1U has easier to access manual controls, but the HC7/9 is VERY usable once you learn it. I still miss the HC1 (A1U consumer model), as it's a champ in small but usable control design. Love the 7/9, but am going to get away from tape, so other than keeping the FX7 around for old times sake and archival purposes...

Cliff Etzel April 2nd, 2008 02:00 PM

I'm currently shooting with a pair of HC7's. I figure within a year SONY is going to introduce a small form factor CF card version of the HC7/9. I just hope they get away from AVCHD for recording - I hear nothing but horror stories about editing it.

Dave Blackhurst April 2nd, 2008 04:37 PM

Probably be a "CX9", MS Duo and AVCHD - HDV is tape, AVCHD is the future for better or worse. I picked up the SR11 and so far am impressed with what I see.

Editing AVCHD is mainly a matter of Computer horsepower, and it's fine on my dual core 6000+, which is not an overly "fast" computer. HDV was a nightmare initially too, so AVCHD is right about at the point on the curve where it should become a lot easier across the board.

Nothing at all wrong with your HC7's, you could probably stretch them out until the cows come home. Just because the technology changes doesn't mean you HAVE to go with it, and doing so can be a pain if you are on the bleeding edge!

Nothing about the HC7/9 or CX7 to be ashamed of! The new SR's may well be the future, but SD to HD was the revolution, the rest is evolutionary, you don't have to participate unless you really want to.

Cliff Etzel April 2nd, 2008 04:48 PM

I was thinking more for the ability to ingest footage quicker using file based footage instead of logging tapes (ugh!).

I should look into upgrading my processor as well for my desktop. I'm still using a single core laptop for field editing using Vegas Pro 8 with Gearshift to manage my HDV footage - nice way to extend somewhat older computer hardware.