DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HC9 versus VX2100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/119493-hc9-versus-vx2100.html)

John Banjin April 15th, 2008 03:47 PM

HC9 versus VX2100

I will only be using SD (some DVD and some web video) for the foreseeable future. I like the idea of a bigger camera - partially for looks - you look more professional. (The A1U also has a more professional look, but since it's been out for several years, I think the HC9 is probably better.)

I do quite a bit of indoor filming - things like lectures and speeches where I have no control over the lighting.

Any thoughts to help me make my purchase?

Marc Burleigh April 15th, 2008 04:56 PM

Well, I had to weigh a similar dilemma. In the end I went with the HC9 (well, actually the HC7 but it's the same thing), while my PD150 takes an extended stay in the repair shop.

My criteria were different than yours though: I wanted something entirely NON-professional looking (but with pro images), to cut down on hassle from officials and to make a lower profile for thieves (I'm in Latin America). Also I figured I'd be shooting stuff I wanted to come back to in a couple of years, so HDV archives seemed like a good bet, even though I, too, am outputting in SD.

I haven't received my little cam yet, so can't really compare on real world images, but I did research the hell out of it beforehand. It seems to me that the lowlight performance of the HC9 will disappoint in the conditions you'll be shooting in. (Me, I have an oncamera light and, one day soon I hope, the return of my PD150 for indoor stuff). But maybe someone with hands-on experience can confirm or deny?

If you do go with the HC9 though you'll be in the same competitive arena as anybody else shooting HDV, so it's not like it's a major disadvantage.

J. Stephen McDonald April 16th, 2008 05:06 AM

My HC9 doesn't seem nearly so bad in low light as some people have said. Since I've been using a VX2100 for 4 years, I'm spoiled by its excellent capabilities in dark circumstances, so I would be very particular how my new camcorder worked. More often than not, I've done my shooting in the late afternoon and evening and the HC9 does handle things pretty well for me. My one complaint about the HC9, is that it tends to overexpose a bit in bright sunlight, especially with still pictures. I often have to turn the programmable roller control down, to tame the light levels during good weather. The two models make a good pair and are well-suited to be backups for each other, as long as the aspect ratios don't cause a problem.

Take a look at my HC9 on my Flickr album, with some of its accessories and still pictures I've shot with it. Some short videos from it should be posted there, within a week or so.

Karl Heiner April 27th, 2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh (Post 861180)
Well, I had to weigh a similar dilemma. In the end I went with the HC9 (well, actually the HC7 but it's the same thing), while my PD150 takes an extended stay in the repair shop.

My criteria were different than yours though: I wanted something entirely NON-professional looking (but with pro images), to cut down on hassle from officials and to make a lower profile for thieves (I'm in Latin America). Also I figured I'd be shooting stuff I wanted to come back to in a couple of years, so HDV archives seemed like a good bet, even though I, too, am outputting in SD.

I haven't received my little cam yet, so can't really compare on real world images, but I did research the hell out of it beforehand. It seems to me that the lowlight performance of the HC9 will disappoint in the conditions you'll be shooting in. (Me, I have an oncamera light and, one day soon I hope, the return of my PD150 for indoor stuff). But maybe someone with hands-on experience can confirm or deny?

If you do go with the HC9 though you'll be in the same competitive arena as anybody else shooting HDV, so it's not like it's a major disadvantage.

you're so right.

I wanted something entirely NON-professional looking (but with pro images), to cut down on hassle from officials

thats one of the reasons i got myself the sony hc 7 last fall. i followed a basketball team, which made the league finals, and that game was at a the oakland coliseum. professional cameras where not allowed, they had a company videotaping the game and selling dvd's.