DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/120395-hdr-hc9-v-remote-terminal-lanc.html)

Bill Koehler April 26th, 2008 08:27 PM

HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC

In reading through the specifications for the HDR-HC9 camcorder, the following really stood out to me.

The LANC, Composite Video, S-Video, and Component Video connections are all obtained through a single 10 pin proprietary connector. So if you already have a LANC controller for an older camera, forget it. It has no hope of plugging in because of the change in connector.

But wait! It gets even better! If you do get and plug in Sony's special LANC controller for this camera, you now can't access the video outputs (composite, S-Video, and component) for monitoring your video!

Am I wrong? Am I misreading something here? Or is this camera screaming for a breakout cable that will give the user the ability to hook up their older LANC controller (I have a Manfrotto 523PRO) AND access to the video outputs? And does that cable already exist somewhere?

Dave Blackhurst April 27th, 2008 11:25 AM

First, the HC9 still has a dedicated LANC, look closer, it's in the front of the port bay on the left side under the LCD.

Second, I've hacked the 10pin A/V jack, and yes, what you're asking is possible, I'm just about done with the documentation for DIY'ers. And AFAIK, no one makes such a cable...

Bill Koehler April 27th, 2008 01:05 PM

Thanks for the info, Dave. I missed that on the HDR-HC9.

I was going partly by looking up the products (HC9, SR11, and SR12) on the B&H PhotoVideo website.
To go by the accessories B&H lists for those cameras, the SR11 & SR12 also have LANC, but you get it only through the A/V Remote Terminal.

So a break-out cable would be directly applicable to those cameras as well.

Dave Blackhurst April 27th, 2008 08:53 PM

Yep, that is correct, I originally hacked the A/V jack for the CX7, but it applies to several other cams, including the SR11/12

Bill Koehler April 28th, 2008 10:38 AM

Seems to me there should be a business opportunity here.
If you're selling, I'm buying.

I found your previous HDR-CX7/LANC discussion here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110755

One note: the Sony external microphone to AIS adapter has been discontinued. Or at least B&H lists it as such.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Is it just me or is Sony trying to make it hard to plug anything but their own stuff into their consumer cameras?

Christian de Godzinsky June 3rd, 2008 04:37 AM

Lanc to AV-connector adapter availability ???

Hi,

Does a 2,5 mm Lanc Jack to 10-pin AV-connector adapter exist - or not ?

I would like to puchase one immediately but cannot find such an adapter...

Does anybody know if such is - or will be - available?

I would like to use my SR12 with my nice tripod, that has a nice Lanc commander... There MUST be other people suffering from this same problem. I am NOT going to buy the small flimsy remote that Sony is promoting as an accessory!!!

Thank's in advance for any comments.

Christian

Bill Koehler June 17th, 2008 08:39 PM

The short answer, Christian, is no.

I agree completely with you. If Sony thinks for a moment that I'm going to replace my Manfrotto 523PRO with the sorry excuse for a LANC controller that they offer for the HDR-SR11, SR12, CX7, etc. then they have taken leave of their senses.

Indeed, bundling so many I/O's into one tiny connector like that I think was really counter- productive, and unnecessary. Even with adapters, typically you are going to have access to just one function. You have to make a choice - LANC, or Video output for monitoring, for example. It would have been far better to have multiple connectors, segregated by function:
a) LANC
b) SD Video I/O
c) HD Video I/O
d) 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Line-In (Stereo Microphone Input)
e) 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Line-Out (Headphone Jack Output)
f) FireWire

At least that's what I look for. Feel free to make up your own list.

Christian de Godzinsky June 19th, 2008 12:39 AM

Bill,

Your list is as almost copied from my HC-1 - it had just about everything on separate connectors...

We will probably never get such an adaptor from Sony, but neither have I found one froma ny other wendor (Hama)... SIGH!!!

Christian

Dave Blackhurst June 19th, 2008 04:06 AM

IF you're handy with a soldering iron, you can build your own at least to some extent - I've managed to reverse engineer SOME of the mysteries of the A/V jack. I'm trying to get time to revisit the thing and try a couple new twists so I've got EVERY secret unlocked before I "publish". I've got the LANC licked, and the s-vid outputs figured...

The audio I/O is a bit more problematic, and interacts with other inputs on the camera... From the service manual diagrams, Sony has all the different I/O ports (AIShoe, A/V jack, mic and headphone jacks) linked to some degree and re-configurable depending on what is plugged in where... the LANC interface was relatively easy to suss out... it's mapping all the other functions that's turned out to be a PITA...

Dan Miyahira June 25th, 2008 01:10 PM

Lanc + Remote Video

Hi I've been following this thread for sometime and may have found something of interest. I have been in contact with a company that makes these adapters.

Go here: http://www.digi-dat.de/produkte/index_eng.html#AVR_LANC

They have had some problems with production but I was told that they would be ready for shipping sometime this week. Cost is in Euros but they accept Paypal.

They are sold in pairs (for stereo video)- EUR 150 ($223 US)

Shipping is as follows:

Standard postal service as maxi letter (no insurance, no tracking, shipping 10-14 days): EUR 9 ($14 US)

Postal service as maxi letter express service (no insurance,no tracking, shipping 6-10 days): EUR 14.50 ($22.55 US)

Postal service international package (includes insurance, tracking only within Europe, shipping 10-12 days): EUR 33. ($51.31 US)

Postal service international package premium service (includes insurance, tracking only within Europe, shipping 6-10 days): EUR 49. (76.19 US)

UPS worldwide expedited (includes insurance, tracking worldwide, shipping 2-3 days): EUR 102. ($158.60 US)

Hope this helps

Dave Blackhurst June 25th, 2008 06:53 PM

That's a lot of lettuce for a plug, a bit of cable, a couple jacks and a resistor...

Dan Miyahira June 25th, 2008 07:34 PM

Yep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 898739)
That's a lot of lettuce for a plug, a bit of cable, a couple jacks and a resistor...

About $248 worth. I flipped when I converted it (is the US dollar that weak?) But you get 2 so roughly $124 a piece.

Still, for those who "have to have it now", at least there is something available. I think I can wait for you to "publish" when you are ready. I just need Lanc + video out. Shouldn't be too hard. Just have to find a reliable way to remove all of that glue on the plug without melting everything.

Bill Koehler June 25th, 2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 898739)

I think I'll wait...for another solution.

Dave Blackhurst June 26th, 2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Miyahira (Post 898757)
About $248 worth. I flipped when I converted it (is the US dollar that weak?) But you get 2 so roughly $124 a piece.

Still, for those who "have to have it now", at least there is something available. I think I can wait for you to "publish" when you are ready. I just need Lanc + video out. Shouldn't be too hard. Just have to find a reliable way to remove all of that glue on the plug without melting everything.

Hair dryer or heat gun - careful not to overheat, but all that stuff is just hot glue... It's almost more of a pain dissecting the outer plastic molding... but I go through that in detail in the instructions, trying to be thorough so it is a no-brainer... getting closer...

Christian de Godzinsky June 26th, 2008 01:48 AM

Hi,

Yes, that price is r i d i c u l o u s !!! I have made up my mind and found a DIY solution.

I bought the Sony RM-AV2 remote (ONLY 64 euro!). First I thought that I just take the cable and put at its end an 2,5mm jack. I decided to keep the remote (you never know weh you some day might need it), but instead I installed the 2,5mm jack INSIDE the remote!!! I will post pics of this mod if it is of any interest.

Christian