HC 7 vs. HC 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Major Player

HC 7 vs. HC 9

Hello All, I made the fateful error of leaving my camera bag at the airport...alone so now I no longer own a HC7. I need a fast replacement so I was about to pull the trigger on the HC9, but then I read the LANC cable thread and I wonder...anymore "upgrades" to this model over the HC7 that will give me problems?
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

HC7 and HC9 are virually IDENTICAL, no changes in the hardware (unless you count the black finish <G>). ONLY difference is some software changes that add a couple features, and seemed to lead to a few improvements in low light handling. And you get a nifty looking lens hood...

Grab an HC9, it'll feel just like home.

PS - did you by any change try lost and found? I've been lucky... not everyone is a thief... and actually many people will try to get your stuff back to you some way!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah, I have been calling.....but this isnt a case of theft, I was a complete dummy and just left it behind as I was grabbing up my other bags outside at the curb.

My main concern is that I hope the physical size is the exact same because I use the Sony SPK-HCC water housing with my old HC7 , so I hope an HC9 will fit
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
My main concern is that I hope the physical size is the exact same because I use the Sony SPK-HCC water housing with my old HC7 , so I hope an HC9 will fit
I think you are going to have to talk to a dealer.
In checking the B&H website for info:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rine_Pack.html

The SPK-HCC is discontinued. This is confirmed at Sony's website:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...eo&SQS=SPK-HCC

It appears to be replaced by the SPK-HCD which is compatible with the HDR-HC9.
In looking at the online pictures of the HCC & HCD, I can't tell the difference.

The Sony SPK-HCD can be found here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...eplacementLink

As well as here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...Sony%20SPK-HCD
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Yeah, I have been calling.....but this isnt a case of theft, I was a complete dummy and just left it behind as I was grabbing up my other bags outside at the curb.

Identical... other than the hood, which of course comes off anyway. I still use an old HCB - electronics remain the same, and interface via the "D" jack using a LANC protocol - Sony has been using that interface for several years, they just refresh the model #'s and make some cosmetic changes. The shells are typically large enough to accomodate several different models - I've tested the SR11 in the HCB, works fine...

The two cameras (7 & 9) are physically identical, except for a few minor cosmetic changes around the control wheel - I had the two side by side briefly just before I abandoned tape...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series