Sony HC9 lens hood question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HC9 lens hood question

I am about to purchase a hc9 as a backup camera for my main cam. Is it possible to attach the supplied lens hood after fitting an uv filter to the camera. It would be great if I could use the 2 together but it is not a necessity though.

I would appreciate it if the hc9 owners out there could help me out with this one.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have the HC9; the shade screws into the 37mm thread on the lens. So, if your UV filter is also 37mm, then the answer to your question is "yes".
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Why fit a UV filter at all Antonie? OK, front element protection if you're on a wind-swept beach, but otherwise (due to the very short focal lengths on the Sony) leave the filter off.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Tom V and Tom H for your replies. Much appreciated. I mainly want to place a filter on the front for protection purposes since I live in a very windy city.
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonie Koen View Post
I am about to purchase a hc9 as a backup camera for my main cam. Is it possible to attach the supplied lens hood after fitting an uv filter to the camera. It would be great if I could use the 2 together but it is not a necessity though.

I would appreciate it if the hc9 owners out there could help me out with this one.
Antonie, I got a 37mm to 58mm step-up adaptor ring from B&H (one of the few dealers that carries a step-ring with such a wide size shift) and use it to mount all my 58mm filters, hoods and telextender and WA lenses onto my HC9. With the larger diameter of these add-ons, there is less vignetting. The very good Sony VCL-DH1758 telextender lens (1.7X), causes vignetting only below about 30% zoom. When not using extra lenses, the 58mm hood I made for my VX2100 screws onto the HC9. There are photos of all my lenses and hoods on my Flickr album, currently many of them are on page #11 and others are farther back. There are explanations of the various attachments in the descriptions on the album. Here is a link to one photo. Maximize your screen to see a larger size.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/...5b0ba662_o.jpg
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series