DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   my HC1 is broken -- repair or replace? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/128242-my-hc1-broken-repair-replace.html)

Scott Hayes August 18th, 2008 06:55 PM

my HC1 is broken -- repair or replace?

needs $512 repair to the tape mechanism as it will not play back tapes consistently,
constant errors. Seems to record fine in camera mode. Should I repair it, or replace it with a Canon HV20? I really want a tape/hybrid camera since my two main cams are still tape. But would rather put $500 towards a new camera with warranty.

John Huebbe August 18th, 2008 09:12 PM

My opinion, ditch it and buy a new camera. I bought all 3 of my HC1's on eBay and didn't pay over $690 for them. $512 seems too much to pay for a repair of an old camera. I'd buy new.

Jack Zhang August 19th, 2008 03:04 AM

My HC7 just broke too. Is the consensus to not fix? I bought myself a HV30 cause it was an emergency.

Dave Blackhurst August 19th, 2008 12:42 PM

Repair is a matter of what's broken and the cost... Sony's "flat rate" quote also may be higher than another reputable shop could do the job for. One shop might repair, while another might replace an expensive assembly... You also would need to consider factors such as the overall condition of the camera and how much time/use is on it.

In short, no easy answer. Part of the equation is how much prices are coming down on newer cameras as the technology matures.

And to make it even more interesting, you can always sell the carcass on eBay for SOMETHING, there are quite a few amateur repair people out there who buy the remains of dead cameras, and resurrect them. I did this myself with some hard to find Sony still cams, bought 5 dead, created 3 good ones from the remains... for less than the price of one! Fairly late model video cameras actually bring pretty good money, FWIW, even broken.

Not sure if that helps, but maybe it will give you some ideas...

Scott Hayes August 19th, 2008 06:31 PM

i am all for parting it out and getting an HV30 at this point

Robert M Wright August 19th, 2008 06:58 PM

If it still records fine, you could get an HV30, be able to shoot with either or both cameras, and capture with the HV30.

Paul Cascio August 25th, 2008 03:36 PM

Another option is use Adobe's OnLocation with your HC1 to record direct to disk.

Scott Hayes August 26th, 2008 08:35 AM

thats a pain in the ass. lugging around a laptop to record 40 minutes of ceremony.
I use the HC1 mainly as a deck, and WS camera. It works when I smack it, so until
it stops working completely, I will keep it around.

Dave Blackhurst August 26th, 2008 10:58 AM

Hi Scott -
Ever had the camera in for maintenance? Perhaps a tune up is all it really needs if knocking it upside the head "fixes" the problem. DV mechanisms are famous for drifting out of alignment as they get old (just like cars and people! <wink>), so maybe it's worth exploring!

Scott Hayes August 26th, 2008 11:06 AM

I called both sony AND armatos, and the quote from Sony was $500, and Armatos
couldn't tell me without sending it in, but he told me it would be more than their online
estimates.

Lou Bruno October 25th, 2008 07:45 PM

At this point, you should consider the Canon HV-30 since the price was just lowered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 925129)
I called both sony AND armatos, and the quote from Sony was $500, and Armatos
couldn't tell me without sending it in, but he told me it would be more than their online
estimates.

Scott Hayes October 26th, 2008 10:53 AM

well, it has been working ok here lately. if it goes down completely, i am getting the canon.

Mike Gunter October 26th, 2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Hayes (Post 955771)
well, it has been working ok here lately. if it goes down completely, i am getting the canon.

Hi Scott,

FWIW, I'd buy a HV30 and check an independent repair shop for an estimate on the HC1. You might be able to fix it for as little as $60 or so and have a backup for the backup, something that you might find appealing rough gets rougher. My HC1 is still ticking away and making great pictures, not as good as my HVX200, but still ticking... ;-)

My best and good luck!

Mike

Guy Shaddock October 27th, 2008 06:27 PM

Hey Scott

Other things to consider are the functions of the HC1. Things like the manual focus ring by the lens etc. Compare these features to the newer models and if it is Sony...they dropped some of these "must have" capabilities. Capabilites that differentiate the consumer and the professional cameras. The HC1 is VERY similar to the Sony HVR-A1. I suspect Sony dropped the HC1 because it was cannabilizing their more professional models. I have an HC1 and also a Canon XH-A1. There are some occasions the XH-A1 won't work. The image quality of the HC1 is so close (in good light) to the XH-A1, I can still combine footage in editing.

Tom Hardwick October 28th, 2008 03:09 AM

Might be worth mentioning that the Canon HV30 could have trouble playing back the HDV tapes recorded on the Sony. Worth checking out as an HV20 tape wouldn't play back in my Z1 or FX1. I could FF and see ther tape was recorded, but that was all.