DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Lens for HC9/SR11 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/130964-lens-hc9-sr11.html)

Brian Maurer September 16th, 2008 09:53 PM

Lens for HC9/SR11

I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this:

I'm interested in getting a converter ring for the 37mm lens that the HC9/SR11 uses to bump up to a more standard size, then put some sort of lens on that that will allow me to have greater control over manual focus. Has anyone done this before? Does it hurt the quality of the image. I know it won't improve it. Also, if you left the lens alone, and put the camera on auto focus, will the camera still focus properly?

Martyn Hull September 17th, 2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Maurer (Post 935853)
I'm wondering if anyone has done something like this:

I'm interested in getting a converter ring for the 37mm lens that the HC9/SR11 uses to bump up to a more standard size, then put some sort of lens on that that will allow me to have greater control over manual focus. Has anyone done this before? Does it hurt the quality of the image. I know it won't improve it. Also, if you left the lens alone, and put the camera on auto focus, will the camera still focus properly?

If you meen an extender then they are available but they can not be used for focus control as the normal on cam auto and manual controls must be used.

Brian Maurer September 17th, 2008 08:58 AM

That's unfortunate. The focus control on this camera is about the size of my pinky, and right by the lens. UGH!

Martyn Hull September 18th, 2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Maurer (Post 937356)
That's unfortunate. The focus control on this camera is about the size of my pinky, and right by the lens. UGH!

Yes after the fx-7 the small control on my sr11 seemed strange but with a bit of practice its not too bad.

Bill Koehler September 22nd, 2008 11:12 AM

If you are using the HC9, I would suggest finding a good LANC controller
that you like for manual lens focus control. That is what I do.

On the other hand, if you are using the SR11/SR12, well...your options are more limited.

Dave Blackhurst September 22nd, 2008 02:45 PM

I think the OP is asking something different... sort of "is there a way to retrofit a lens with a focus ring (like a 35mm lens) and use that to focus the image in the camera..."

Short answer is "not really" unless you are fiddling with a 35mm adapter... then you need a focus glass (at the proper focal plane) for the internal camera to focus on if I understand the theory behind these thingamajigs correctly...

Add on lenses are zoom through or not, and really have to be designed to produce a workable image in conjunction with the positioning of the lenses and imager INSIDE the camera... an out of focus image is out of focus, period. Adding an additonal layer of "in focus or not" is an exercise in frustration to at least some degree...

As a practical matter... the control knob of the SR11 is better than the HC9, although both are somewhat usable. From a practical standpoint, with the small screen you're really relying on the relatively deep Depth of focus and the internal "smarts" for focus accuracy - the spot focus function is worth exploring.

While you can use a LANC (focus function is available via the A/V jack of the SR), unless you've got really good eyes or an external monitor, chances are the internal focus function will be better almost all of the time.

These small cams are not paragons of "creative control", that's not what they are meant for, though you can augment them or make them more versatile with add-ons or whatnot, you have to accept some limitations in a high tech device that fits in you pocket...

J. Stephen McDonald September 28th, 2008 04:42 AM

I've found that the autofocus of my HC9 works very well with a telextender attached. The manufacturer obviously intended for this type of camcorder to mostly use autofocus, as the manual control and results when using it, is awkward and not very accurate, either. If you could connect an LANC controler to it when on a tripod, and with an external monitor, I think that would be the only effective way to make good use of manual focus. B&H sells a 37mm to 58mm step-up ring to attach a Sony VCL-BH1758 telextender, which is the best one I've found for it and is not expensive, despite good optical quality. It's sharper and causes less vignetting than the 37mm HD telex they sell for it and is less expensive. It was originally designed to fit a 6-MP digital still camera, so it has plenty of resolution potential.