DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HVR-A1U XLR Box (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/136613-hvr-a1u-xlr-box.html)

Sheldon Steere October 25th, 2008 01:54 PM

HVR-A1U XLR Box

Well, I went through every single post on this forum and still haven't seen anyone ask or answer this question, so I thought I'd post it.

I have an HVR-A1J and the box on the top that holds the microphone and has the XLR inputs with all the switches for sound mixing has gone bad. The Input 2 has just stopped working, and I was looking into purchasing a new one to replace it, but a) I don't know what it's called, and haven't been able to find anyone listing it or even naming it. I went by the serial number to the sony spare parts website and the part I found that supposedly matched the serial number didn't have a picture associated with it, so I couldn't verify it was the same part. b) I was wondering if that's the only option for that spot, because since I have to buy one anyways, I was wondering if maybe I should upgrade.

Marco Wagner October 27th, 2008 04:07 PM

I think it's called an XLR hot shoe or breakout box....

Victor Wilcox October 27th, 2008 05:25 PM

Xlr Block Assy

XLR BLOCK ASSY
Part No: A1133621A
$273.95 USA (The price information is about one year old)

Colin Zhang November 2nd, 2008 05:50 AM

On a slightly unrelated topic, if you purchase one of these can they be used on a camera other than the A1 or is there a specific connector only for this camera? Would be interesting to know, particularly as if it is, people with FX1s or FX7s might want to have a look.

(sorry for the dumb question :/)

Victor Wilcox November 2nd, 2008 07:48 AM

The XLR block requires the propietory hot shot and firm ware of the A1U.

Colin Zhang November 2nd, 2008 07:56 AM

Oh I see. How about some of those old adapters that only plugged into the accessory shoe, though? Like those that came with PD100s and I think PDX10s.

Thanks

Rick Foye December 7th, 2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox (Post 958667)
The XLR block requires the propietory hot shot and firm ware of the A1U.

It doesn't even work on the HDR-HC1.

Neil Goodwill February 16th, 2010 04:17 PM

Hi Sheldon, do you still have the faulty XLR (A1133621A) adapter? If so, I would like to buy it. I don't need the microphone, just the box. I have a broadcast engineer friend who has said he could probably repair it.

Howard Harrelson February 16th, 2010 08:15 PM

Maybe a Beachtek box will help

Take a look at this website...

They're got a small double XLR input box that outputs to a mini-phone plug.

Welcome to BeachTek.com!

Good luck,

Howard

Neil Goodwill February 18th, 2010 06:46 PM

Thanks for your suggestion Howard. Unfortunately, they only do adapters that fit under the camera. I've built a matte box and rods support that allows cassette removal when fitted to a tripod, so there is nowhere to place a Beachtek type adapter.
If I manage to get hold of the Sony XLR Block Assembly I think it will help if and when I decide to sell the A1.
I would still quite like to hear from Sheldon about his faulty adapter, or anyone else that may have one going spare.