Infinite setting on a1u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Infinite setting on a1u

Hi guys...tried this in the open forum thread, got no answers. Thought I'd try here.

I have an A1U that I shoot with, and I would like to know what "exactly" is in focus, when the "infinite" symbol is displayed. (that horizontal "figure 8" symbol)

1) Is it everything after a certain distance from the lens? If so, how far from the lens?
2) Will it be accurate if I put a wide angle or telephoto lens on it?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Fred Goltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1) Probably varies depending on focal length and aperture. Best way to figure this out is to manually focus and watch the readout... when it changes from meters to the infinity or Mountain symbol, that's the point.
2) It should.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Goltz View Post
Hi guys...tried this in the open forum thread, got no answers. Thought I'd try here.

I have an A1U that I shoot with, and I would like to know what "exactly" is in focus, when the "infinite" symbol is displayed. (that horizontal "figure 8" symbol)

1) Is it everything after a certain distance from the lens? If so, how far from the lens?
2) Will it be accurate if I put a wide angle or telephoto lens on it?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
I have an HC-1 so this interested me. It's a tough subject, it appears.

Some general information on hyperfocus it can be found at Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster

The info there seems to work out with a quick visual check I did.

Assuming the A1 has identical optics to my HC1 - we have a 1/3 sensor with a focal point of 5.1mm to 51mm, and aperture of f1.8 to f 2.1.

At full wide (5.1mm) it worls out to approx 4 feet - which is about what I roughly what I saw.

Last edited by Gene Gajewski; May 22nd, 2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: new info
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Ininite setting

Thanks guys! I guess I'll just have to do some testing. I should stop being so lazy, anyway! Appreciate it!

Freddie.
Fred Goltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series