the new pdx10 is here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Major Player

the new pdx10 is here

it's called the HVR-A1u
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/5925
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

Already being discussed here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=43428&page=2
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Major Player

You beat me to it!

Here's another link:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...es-HVR-A1U.htm
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

oops - sorry Boyd - I didn't read you're other post completely- you got it out there first-
Chris - maybe sony can get the one chip idea right- lets wait and see . I really love the cmos still camera images- if they can get close to that. Noise is the issue with the small cmos chips. I'll bet that's why they're showing off it's new processor ! I would have been more interested in a HC90 sized HDV myself but for hard working docs , this looks just right if you want lower profile than the z1/fx1. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Major Player

This is like the 8th thread about these new cameras....they definately seem to have people excited, but mostly because of the price, not because it's a PDX10 replacement.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Would you really consider a single CMOS camera a replacement for the 3 chip PDX-10 or TRV950 (formerly PD100a and TRV900)?
It sounds more like a consumer camera, albeit a higher res consumer camera. Sony isn't even saying it's the PDX10 replacement so they may still have something up their sleeves. Perhaps a smaller, lower end version of the 3-chip series?
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #7
Wrangler

Just a wild guess, but I think they may be reordering their product lineup such that there won't be a small 3 chip pro camera in the near term. They probably don't want to take sales away from the FX-1. At any rate, it would be unprecedented to have two small pro camcorders. And unless the price for the A1U is going to drop quite a bit, where would they position a small 3 chipper?

This looks like a cool product, but apparently with little manual control. So unless "size matters" the FX-1 is going to be more attractive.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #8
Trustee

My limited experience with CMOS chips is - they get darned hot. I have one of those little one chip security cameras like a spy camera I was going to use as a web camera. The darn thing gets too hot to attach to the monitor. The case of the camera would melt the monitor cabinette.

Wonder what they are doing about that issue? Big heat sinks I guess.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series