DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Yes they have Optical Image Stabilisation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/44866-yes-they-have-optical-image-stabilisation.html)

Kyle Ringin May 19th, 2005 01:36 AM

On the resolution thing - I'm pretty sure it uses digital image stabilisation, so that'd eat up a few pixels.

Chris Hurd May 19th, 2005 06:29 AM

If it had Optical Image Stabilisation, then it would have said "Super SteadyShot" somewhere on the body. They never miss a branding opportunity when they can get one.

Matt Howell May 19th, 2005 09:39 AM

Take a close look at the 300dpi version of the first picture again. It does say "Super SteadyShot" right on the backside of the LCD screen. Now that we know they are calling it "Super SteadyShot", is that a guarantee that it has Optical Image Stabilization?

Chris Hurd May 19th, 2005 10:10 AM

Dang, how did I miss that? Thanks, Matt!

Yup, Super SteadyShot equals Optical Image Stabilisation, so yes indeed, these cams have OIS. Funny thing is that the HC1 is branded so, on the outside of the LCD display as Matt points out. The A1 doesn't show that brand externally, but since it's the "pro" version of the HC1, I can't imagine why it would not have OIS.

Matt Howell May 19th, 2005 11:06 AM

Chris, thanks for the information about the OIS. I have to say I am super excited about this new HDR-HC1 camera. I am in the market for a new video camera and I was very seriously considering the Sony PDX-10. Now if this camera turns out to be a good one I believe it may be the way to go.

I used to work as a professional videographer/editor/production crew guy in the local TV business. I shot a lot video back then with the dockable 3-chip Sony Betacam SP cameras, and a little bit with the BVW-300/400A's. Now video is just a hobby for me, but I still have a critical eye for quality. I hope this camera can be suitable for an ex-pro like me. My main concern is high quality 16:9 and at least for now the quality when downconverted to SD DVD.

Radek Svoboda May 19th, 2005 12:25 PM

The stabilization is digital. Some of the CMOS pixels used for stabilization.

Radek

Chris Hurd May 19th, 2005 02:12 PM

Incorrect. The stabilisation is optical. The camera feature known as "Super SteadyShot" (which is externally branded on the HC1 body) always refers to optical image stabilisation. The brand does not appear on the A1 body but there is no reason why it would be different than the HC1.

Charles Papert May 19th, 2005 02:59 PM

Chris, isn't Steadyshot technology licensed from Canon by Sony?

Miklos Konczol May 19th, 2005 04:01 PM

Electronic:(((

Hi ALL
..unfortunately the HC-1 has electronic Super Steadyshot stabilizer...
Super Steadyshot is originaly sony licenced... and it does not mean it is opticaly, but it can be.....
check this:
http://www.global-dvc.org/Sony%20HDV.htm#
..best regard: Mike

Chris Hurd May 19th, 2005 05:38 PM

Well, I'll tell you what, this wouldn't be the first time I've had to eat words. I have a query into my contacts at Sony America and am awaiting a clarification from them. I'll let them be the ones to shoot me down. If it turns out that it's in fact *not* OIS, then I'll have to re-title this thread: "Yes they have Super SteadyShot."

In the past, Super SteadyShot has been their brand for OIS, and yes the optical image stabilisation technology has been licensed from Canon. Whether or not these new HDV cams have optical or electronic IS may be entirely beside the point, however. The fact that they have Super SteadyShot means that the IS function (be it electronic or optical) does not degrade the image quality, and that's the main thing. The method is moot. The results are what really count.

In other words, it doesn't really matter if it's electronic or optical. Standard EIS technology -- that is, the plain-jane SteadyShot -- has greatly improved in the past couple of years and is no longer the noticeable hit on image quality that it used to be. Super SteadyShot is their brand for "the really good stuff," the type of IS that isn't going to affect your image. Be it optical or electronic, it's irrelevant. The main thing is that Super SteadyShot is their IS technology that's better than regular SteadyShot.

From the SonyStyle USA site:

"Super SteadyShot ® Picture Stabilization: Similar to standard SteadyShot Picture Stabilization but minimizes even higher frequency vibration up to 25Hz, such as vehicle shake, with no loss of image quality.

Long story short, it's really not worth making a big deal over it.

Douglas Habib May 19th, 2005 07:19 PM

RIGHT, pro'bly NOT a BFD; though my interest in the cam compels my curiosity.....please let us know the response from your peeps.