Yes they have Optical Image Stabilisation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Major Player

On the resolution thing - I'm pretty sure it uses digital image stabilisation, so that'd eat up a few pixels.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

If it had Optical Image Stabilisation, then it would have said "Super SteadyShot" somewhere on the body. They never miss a branding opportunity when they can get one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Take a close look at the 300dpi version of the first picture again. It does say "Super SteadyShot" right on the backside of the LCD screen. Now that we know they are calling it "Super SteadyShot", is that a guarantee that it has Optical Image Stabilization?
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Dang, how did I miss that? Thanks, Matt!

Yup, Super SteadyShot equals Optical Image Stabilisation, so yes indeed, these cams have OIS. Funny thing is that the HC1 is branded so, on the outside of the LCD display as Matt points out. The A1 doesn't show that brand externally, but since it's the "pro" version of the HC1, I can't imagine why it would not have OIS.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Chris, thanks for the information about the OIS. I have to say I am super excited about this new HDR-HC1 camera. I am in the market for a new video camera and I was very seriously considering the Sony PDX-10. Now if this camera turns out to be a good one I believe it may be the way to go.

I used to work as a professional videographer/editor/production crew guy in the local TV business. I shot a lot video back then with the dockable 3-chip Sony Betacam SP cameras, and a little bit with the BVW-300/400A's. Now video is just a hobby for me, but I still have a critical eye for quality. I hope this camera can be suitable for an ex-pro like me. My main concern is high quality 16:9 and at least for now the quality when downconverted to SD DVD.
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Major Player

The stabilization is digital. Some of the CMOS pixels used for stabilization.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Incorrect. The stabilisation is optical. The camera feature known as "Super SteadyShot" (which is externally branded on the HC1 body) always refers to optical image stabilisation. The brand does not appear on the A1 body but there is no reason why it would be different than the HC1.

Old May 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Wrangler

Chris, isn't Steadyshot technology licensed from Canon by Sony?
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Electronic:(((

Hi ALL
..unfortunately the HC-1 has electronic Super Steadyshot stabilizer...
Super Steadyshot is originaly sony licenced... and it does not mean it is opticaly, but it can be.....
check this:
http://www.global-dvc.org/Sony%20HDV.htm#
..best regard: Mike
Miklos Konczol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Well, I'll tell you what, this wouldn't be the first time I've had to eat words. I have a query into my contacts at Sony America and am awaiting a clarification from them. I'll let them be the ones to shoot me down. If it turns out that it's in fact *not* OIS, then I'll have to re-title this thread: "Yes they have Super SteadyShot."

In the past, Super SteadyShot has been their brand for OIS, and yes the optical image stabilisation technology has been licensed from Canon. Whether or not these new HDV cams have optical or electronic IS may be entirely beside the point, however. The fact that they have Super SteadyShot means that the IS function (be it electronic or optical) does not degrade the image quality, and that's the main thing. The method is moot. The results are what really count.

In other words, it doesn't really matter if it's electronic or optical. Standard EIS technology -- that is, the plain-jane SteadyShot -- has greatly improved in the past couple of years and is no longer the noticeable hit on image quality that it used to be. Super SteadyShot is their brand for "the really good stuff," the type of IS that isn't going to affect your image. Be it optical or electronic, it's irrelevant. The main thing is that Super SteadyShot is their IS technology that's better than regular SteadyShot.

From the SonyStyle USA site:

"Super SteadyShot ® Picture Stabilization: Similar to standard SteadyShot Picture Stabilization but minimizes even higher frequency vibration up to 25Hz, such as vehicle shake, with no loss of image quality.

Long story short, it's really not worth making a big deal over it.

Old May 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

RIGHT, pro'bly NOT a BFD; though my interest in the cam compels my curiosity.....please let us know the response from your peeps.
Douglas Habib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series