Maybe better for VFX work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 20th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #1
Trustee

Maybe better for VFX work

Depending on how many pixels are on the chip for the new CMOS HDV cameras these camera may actaully be better for VFX work compared to the FX1/Z1.

Based on the type of still images the camera can do while still recording video it almost seems to me that the CMOS chip may actually have more pixels than the Z1.

In a well lit bright Blue/greenscreen environment even with a single CMOS chip I think the extra resolution will be better for VFX work.

Even if color accuracy isn't 100% it will be very close in a controlled environment. Besides usually that type of footage would be color corrected to match your background plates anyways.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I'm willing to bet that the color accuracy will be 100% though. If the color filter overlay on the CMOS sensor is an RGB filter or Sony's four-color hybrid borrowed from their digital still camera division (R, G, B plus Emerald I think), then the color accuracy will easily match that of a 3-chip.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I'm willing to bet that the color accuracy will be 100% though. If the color filter overlay on the CMOS sensor is an RGB filter or Sony's four-color hybrid borrowed from their digital still camera division (R, G, B plus Emerald I think), then the color accuracy will easily match that of a 3-chip.
Wouldn't an RGB filter lower the low-light responsiveness dramatically? I'm only using the Xi as a reference, but it had a 1/3" CCD and I read that it's low-light performance was subpar.

Thomas, a lot of VFX work quality comes down to how far you can push the compression format and color space. I'm assuming these cams would hold up just (about) as well as the FX1 and Z1, but not necessarily better.

I'm no expert, though, on the HDV world.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I haven't known RGB filters to perform worse in low light, but they have been noisier than CMY filters, if that's what you mean. This is counterbalanced by the effectiveness of the DSP though.

"Just add light,"

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Trustee

My $0.02 is that all HDV cams are on a par since mpeg compression limits the color space to 4:2:0.

The HC1 will probably fish or cut bait depending on the size, ergonomics, price, feature set, convenience features and creative control more so than PQ that will be roughly the same as the other HDV's.

The overall package is what wins with HDV because the constraints of the HDV format, bit rate and mpeg compression forces them all to the center.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series