Various questions Sony HC1 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 20th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #91
Trustee

Extra pixels get used when the electronic steady-shot is activated. Which pixels these are is not entirely clear, to me and my small brain at least.

I've had an HC1 for 2.5months now, viewing on a 48" RP HD Sony. The reds have never caught my attention as being problematic. The camera does have a 'cooler' overall tone than, for example, my JVC HD1.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Another couple of Pro's are top loading tape and better low light performance. I have FX1 and TRV50 and did not think that the HC1 was a reasonable second camera replacement for the TRV50 because of the lack of the two above Pro's. I will problabley get a HC3. Lack of headphone jack and mic input is not of concern to me as a second camera but as a single camera may be an issue. HC3 does have the option of using the new Bluetooth mic though that does look attractive for me.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Steve, you cannot only compare the number of pixels, the 2 CMOS aren't based on the same technology.
The one inside the HC1 is 'classical', the one of the HC1 is a 'Clearvid' one (pixels in diagonal) and the rate of red and blue pixels on the green ones is not the same in these 2 technologies.

Have a look too here http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthrea...8440#post28440

When you write "you only need 2.1MP to capture 1080x1920 video, right?", it's false because you confuse the number of 'screen RGB pixels' and the captor pixels: for example, a LCD screen for computers, announced with a resolution of 1080x1920, hold in fact 1080x1920x3 elementary pixels (the 'x3' is to take into account the red, green, and blue elementary colored pixels).

When a camcorder hold 2.1MP on 1 captor, or it's the total of monochrome pixels in case of a 3xCCD or 3xCMOS, or its the total number of pixels whatever is the elementary color in the case of the mono-chip camera.

The HC1 and HC3 have a mono-CMOS, but, due to the different technology, the HC1 has 2 green for 1 red/1 blue pixel, and the HC3 has 6 green for 1 red/1 blue. When you compare the effective number of pixels between these 2 camcorders, you see that the HC1 has quite the same number of green pixels and 2.5 times more red and blue pixels than the HC3.
But, on the HC3, with pixels in diagonal, Sony claims to have the quite same result with its Clearvid CMOS.

In an another hand, remember that the HDV format has a 4:2:0 color scheme for which, on the paper, the weight of red and blue pixels of the HC3 are enough.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #94
Regular Crew

hc1 footage

this is hc1 footage
canopus hq codec... upsize to 1920...deinterlance and 24p film look

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/pds/canopus.avi
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #95
Major Player

It's not dling for me...

However, I did see your other HC1 24p filmic color corrected footage at:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=4612

Could you tell us how you did that, step by step? It looks awesome.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #96
Regular Crew

convert ur footage to 10bit or 16bit and color correct in avid hd pro.. change gamma curve and color correct,,,your done.

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...okHD_1080p.wmv
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #97
Major Player

Did you record your original footage using the camera's own CineTone/CineGamma option? If so, did you use Type 1 or Type 2 (not sure if these options are only on the A1 or also on the HC1?).

Could you explain exactly what you did in color correction? Like, what exactly did you do to gamma change and color correct?
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #98
New Boot

hc1 actually for sale via sonyeducation site?

http://edu.sony.com/webapp/wcs/store...ntractId=21505

theres a link to sony's education site, and the hc1 clearly for sale at 1500. unless they just havnt updated this part of their webpages yet, it looks like u can stlil grab em direct. came across this in the midst of some major hc1/hc3 research. leaning towards hc1 right now, primarily for documentary of a month long australia trip im going on in june. anyone point me in the direction of some cheap prices for the hc1? thanks a mil.

edit, forgot to mention hc1 is also in the business area of sony's website.
Evan Seccombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #99
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Seccombe
came across this in the midst of some major hc1/hc3 research. leaning towards hc1 right now, primarily for documentary of a month long australia trip im going on in june.
If you expect to use it for a project for potential public presentation or sale, I suggest looking into the A1U so you can record better audio. Failing that, you can get a BeachTek XLR adapter box which are pretty nice. I know the additional cost isn't attractive but cleaner, clearer audio will help you maximize the overall presentation quality. Not only is the XLR connection electrically noise immune, you'll have the option to use higher quality mics.

For private use, it's probably not as important.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; April 13th, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #100
Inner Circle

How to set HC1 for incoming dub?

Is there some trick to setting an HC1 to record an incoming DV/HDV signal via firewire? I followed the instructions in the manual this morning to adjust various menu options, but the HC1 seems to be determined to send a signal out rather than record what's coming in. I ended up switching tapes with my other camera and getting the dub to work that way, but I'd still like to know how to record into the HC1.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #101
Trustee

What are you sending the signal from?

When exporting out of Premiere 2.0 there is really no trick: you connect the cable, put the camera in paused-playback mode, and hit export to tape from within the NLE.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #102
Inner Circle

I had the HC1 connected by firewire to an FX1 set to downsample from HDV to DV for output. But no matter what I did the HC1 thought it was sending a signal out instead of receiving a signal in, so I had to use the HC1 as the player and FX1 as recorder.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #103
Major Player

HC1 questions

1. Can the HC1 playback tapes shot on DV or DVCAM or Canons Frame Movie mode. I've got tapes shot on all different type of cameras and modes.

2. Can the A1U's XLR mic adapter be used on the HC1 and if so where could I buy just one of these?

3. What about these first two questions applied to the HC3?

thank you
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #104
Regular Crew

>> 1. Can the HC1 playback tapes shot on DV or DVCAM or Canons Frame Movie mode. I've got tapes shot on all different type of cameras and modes. <<

The HC1 can play tapes shot in DV or HDV 1080i. The HC1 can not play DVCAM tapes although the A1U can. The HC1 (and for that matter, any other Sony Camcorder or Deck) can not play tapes recorded in Canon's 24F and 30F modes. These modes are proprietary to Canon and can only be played back on the Canon XL-H1 (and possibly other Canon HDV camcorders released in the future), just as the Canon can not play back tapes recorded in Sony's proprietary Cineframe 24 and 30 modes recorded using Sony Camcorders and Decks.

>> 2. Can the A1U's XLR mic adapter be used on the HC1 and if so where could I buy just one of these? <<

The A1U's XLR mic adaptor can not be used on the HC1. However you could purchase a Beach Box with similar capabilities. Service parts for the Sony HVR-A1U and all Sony Professional Products are available from Sony.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ss/index.shtml

>> 3. What about these first two questions applied to the HC3? <<

All of the above answers apply to the HC3 also. Furthermore, the HC3 has no mic inputs at all, so you could not add a Beach Box, or any external mic or line input.

I hope this helps.

--Dave
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Third Party Battery for HC1

I'm looking for a second battery for my HC1 and was curious if anybody has used a battery other than Sony.

I saw some on Ebay and the price was definetely right but you get what you pay for.
Kevin Crockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series