Spot's HC1 Summary - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 21st, 2005, 09:04 PM   #16

I didn't capture anything against green, I wish I had, because the setup was there. Damn.
I did cap uncompressed from it. It looks wonderful. The FX has a different edge ring than the Z1 does, and I can't get an explanation of why. Maybe someone else has an answer.
Looking at this footage, what did you think of the latitude? BTW, that's really the color of the area. it's not red because of lack of white balance, it's monster red marble buildings with tungsten lights in water fountains made of red marble with the sidewalk made of red marble. Everything just looks "red" in that area. Especially with the red neon and red balloons that are everywhere along Orchard Street.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM   #17
Major Player

In regard to capturing uncompressed component from the HC1 - I thought the 1920x1080 pixel count was in a 4:3 aspect ratio? so when shooting HD at 16:9, you'd have less res than that (not that pure pixel resolution is everything)

Anyone know?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:09 PM   #18

Hey, just realized that in this particular render, I only rendered the same footage once, with the wrong title on it. I'm re-rendering. Sorry for any confusion, correct file is re-rendering now. What can I say, it was a long flight and I was tired? :-)
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:51 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey Spot you beat me to it. I tried to check the footage and thought I was doing something wrong because they looked the same.

Kyle,
The chip is actually 1920x1440 which makes it 4:3. This is used for the highest still image mode. When shooting video only the middle 1080 of those 1440 is used. So the encoder does actually get a nice full 1920x1080 raster before it encodes it down to 1440x1080. I was hoping the analog outputs would get the full raster before it got pushed down to 1440x1080. With this tiny of a lens I doubt you would really gain that much more detail however. Still these cheap SONY HDV cameras are really the only thing on the market to have the full potential for an actually full resolution uncompressed image. The only other camera that may come close so far with be the JVC HD100 since it's uncompressed output will be the full 1280x720 at 60p. Of course these are two different HD formats.

Anyways.

Spot, which camera footage do we have right now then?
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:57 AM   #20

You have neither. I killed the link, because when I opened that test project back up, I found I'd left the HC1 track unmuted, and partial (2% opacity) so either clip would have been invalid. I've already re-rendered, and in the process of uploading now. I hope to get it done before bed, however jetlag is busting my butt. The East to west flights are no sweat. Those West to East flights leave me screwy for a couple days.
If I don't get them relinked tonight, they'll be relinked tomorrow first thin in the a.m. I wish i had a fatter/fasster pipe.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #21
Trustee

Hey Spot could you post a screen grab from your uncompressed capture? I don't need a video just a still image. Thanks.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Spot,
Does the HC1 export analog (or 1394) DV while recording HDV? Is it only capable of producing 16:9 DV (like the FX1) or can you select 4:3 (as only the Z1 and VTR can do). Can it play back a HDV recording and export a DV 4:3 SD signal?
Many thanks,
Ben
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series