Spot's HC1 Summary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1

Spot's HC1 Summary

I finally was able to write my comments on the HC1....
http://vasst.com/resource.aspx?id=bc...7-1f95b3c448da

I mounted the HC1 to the top of the Z1, shooting as close as I possibly could of the same subject at all similar modes in the two. Very impressive.
I've got the files with timecode so you can compare, but my hotel in KL won't let me get the large files up, so it will have to wait til I get back to the States late Wednesday night.

Overall, very impressed. It's not an FX 1, for sure, nor is it a Z1. But it's also not a cheap attempt at making hyping HDV.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Nicely written review, Spot, much appreciated. I guess you're not going to make it to DV Expo East in NYC this week? If I were in your shoes, coming back from the other side of the planet, all I'd want to do is go home.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Do other people have trouble clicking the 'Read' button on this site?
My screen is running 1024*768 and I can only just see a one pixel vertical line that is obviously the left edge of the read button and no horizontal scroll bar.

Is it just me?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice review Spot! Hey folks, can you say "Feeder deck"? The previous HDV deck was too expensive to justify, but now you can buy one of these as a feeder deck and have a nice second cam to boot. One to take to the kids ballgame and or vacation!

Do you think the footage would intercut well Spot? Would it be obvious which shot was from what camera?
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #5
New Boot

Upgrade recommendation for amateur videographer?

For the last 18 months I've been shooting travel clips with the JVC HD-10U. It's limitations are clear. I have been carefully reading all the posts about the HC-1 and the expected GY-HD100U, which I saw at the NAB. Many differences are obvious. Late this September I will again be leaving for a unique destination that I very much want to have a good video record of. Is the upgrade to the HC-1 from the HD-10 worthwhile, or would it be necessary to wait for the JVC for there to be enough of a difference to warrant the additional costs? I edit using FCP 5.0 on a dual 2.5 Mac. I appreciate and value your suggestions.
Stuart Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Nice review. It cleared up some things I'd been wondering about it. Thanks for putting in the effort (once again).

Cheers.
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Can't access the review. Is it my windows 95 computer?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Lynne,
Do you mean you can't find the button to take you to the full article?
The button is above and to the right of the "XXX Views" text. As mentioned I can only see the very edge of it.

Or try this direct link http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar..._camcorder.htm
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #9
Major Player

Great thanks for the write up. Was there any footage upload yet? So eager to see it compared side by side with the FX1.

Cheers
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM   #10

Footage of the HC1 and the Z1 is still uploading. Was still having FTP probs even when I hit stateside, but got home early in a.m. and just now getting to it. Gimme about 30 mins, I'll have the page up. Fairly short, but in a dark, highly contrasted space from a park bench.
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM   #11
Major Player

Gotta hate that! lol Thanks Douglas. :)
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:32 PM   #12

http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...on_footage.htm

I want to reiterate.....neither footage shows the cam at the best of its ability. I wanted both cams on auto for most fair comparisons.
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:33 PM   #13
Major Player

what to buy?

Spot--Is it your feeling that we should jump on the C1 and not wait for the A1? Can you see any real advantage to getting the topside-mounted XLR mic mount vs. the Beachtek set-up that evidently you're using?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 07:43 PM   #14

I can't comment on the A1 vs the HC1, because I've only seen proto A1, not the real deal. It looks like the A1 will be just like the Z1 is to the FX....so it would get my money. My bigger point is, while these smaller cams aren't the same as their bigger relatives, I'm in no way afraid of shooting them, either. They still are SO much better than DV that it's not even a point of discussion for me. I'd likely get the A1, if I wanted the more "pro" features that it has. I should have an A1 next week barring any shipping from Japan issues.
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM   #15
Trustee

Thanks for the footage Spot.

How do you feel the HC1/ A1 would handle a well lit blue screen studio running uncompressed HD output? Clearly this is the sort of area a whole lot of people can't test out. Considering this is really the only camera in this price range to give a full 1920x1080 pixel count I always felt it would be pretty good even though it is a single chip.

I have been taking a very close look of the footage from Kaku inside of Shake and I have been very impressed. Some areas do seem to be a little softer but one thing that I really did like about the HC1 footage was the lack of edge enhancement compared to the FX1 footage. Edge ringing can be just as bad as color space issues when it comes to keying.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series