DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Important desiscion. please help me. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/48624-important-desiscion-please-help-me.html)

Angel Mario July 31st, 2005 07:16 PM

Important desiscion. please help me.

Please Help:

im starting a sci fi series production. we already have buyers interested but we have an important choice to make. we wanted to go HD with the sony camera, but my producer recently showed me some shots that came out from an xl2. they where amazing. it has the 24p option wich is amazing. and the HD has a cine look but does not shoot at 24p... which camera would be better to do the series?

thanks for your help.

Stephanie Wilson July 31st, 2005 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel Mario
Please Help:

im starting a sci fi series production. we already have buyers interested but we have an important choice to make. we wanted to go HD with the sony camera, but my producer recently showed me some shots that came out from an xl2. they where amazing. it has the 24p option wich is amazing. and the HD has a cine look but does not shoot at 24p... which camera would be better to do the series?

thanks for your help.

Hey Angel,

If the buyers are interested in selling the series to syndication down the road, I would purchase an HD camera. I believe this is one of the reasons networks are now shooting on HD. I think this warrants a conversation with them, no?

I personally would wait at least a year before going HD, just to get the bugs worked out, but alot of people seem to be making the plunge with success.

And again, I think it is important to talk to the buyers regarding their needs. But if they don't know 24p from HD go with your gut.

Hope this helped alittle. Steph

Angel Mario July 31st, 2005 08:46 PM

thanks steph.

thank you very much. one question do... ive seen the 24p on the xl2 bacause i own one, but havent seen the "cinema look" of the sony HD. i guess that the closest it gets to the film look, thats the choice i will make.. do you know anything about the film look on the sony HD?

Stephanie Wilson July 31st, 2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel Mario
thank you very much. one question do... ive seen the 24p on the xl2 bacause i own one, but havent seen the "cinema look" of the sony HD. i guess that the closest it gets to the film look, thats the choice i will make.. do you know anything about the film look on the sony HD?

Sorry Angel,

Know very little about a lot of stuff and this particular area happens to be one of them. I'm sure someone on this site will provide you with a stellar answer to your question.

Much luck,

Steph

Xander Christ August 1st, 2005 01:48 AM

You need to talk with your director of photography and/or camera operator and purchase a camera they have experience on. You'll get the best video quality possible if you go that route.

If 24p is your primary concern, you really have to think about why you want to get a 60i camera. Also, DV and HDV are tougher to do visual effects with (not impossible, but you get better results with 4:2:2 than with 4:2:0 and 4:1:1 compression - it always takes longer to fix things in post than if you just shoot it right the first time).

You have investors. Do yourself a favor and ask them for "real" gear like Panasonic's DVCPRO 50/HD products that can shoot true 24p in 4:2:2.