Sony HVR-A1U--My view. - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #46
New Boot

Boyd and Alexander,

Surely the HDV recording standard is 1080i 60f. There is no way to record progressive on the HDV tape even if the actual readout from the CMOS chip is progressive. That would be true for any HDV camera including the FX1/Z1. The only thing that Sony might have done is to provide the capability to output the analog Component Video in 1080p instead of 1080i - but there are no TV displays at present to watch the result (though it could be displayed on some computer monitors). The HDV standard does allow for 720p - which is what JVC chose for their consumer camcorder, but of course that does have a lower resolution! True 1080p recording would require a 2X data rate on the tape - or MUCH heavier compression - not going to happen!!!

Gerald
Gerald Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I agree...but who is to say that TVs won't be capable in the near future? I mean, SONY is selling HDV camcorder like candy and HDTV is still far from mainstream. I think that the technology is already there, all they're doing is waiting for the right time.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Lunn
Boyd and Alexander,
True 1080p recording would require a 2X data rate on the tape - or MUCH heavier compression - not going to happen!!!

Gerald
They could do 30/25/24p with no penalty, and better compression than interlace.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Stu,
There is direct control over the aperture via the exposure paddle lever
Douglas

I have read through here and the article, and I noticed that there is not a clear answer to the question of where ever the aperture can be adjusted independently by itself (or if gain can). You seem to mention it, but it is not entirely clear where ever you where talking about readouts or actual controls.

Quote:
While the camera doesn't provide aperture settings, or even gain indicators measured in dB
Quote:
I failed to mention the gain options in the menu.
What is the answer, is it the same manual control setup as the HC1?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Is this better then Z1?
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #51

As the review explains, not by a long shot. It's a very impressive cam for sub 3K.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #52
Major Player

From the A1 Manual, I realize there's no manual gain. What a shame for a "Pro" camera. Useless for fiction and overall manipulated lighting work (since the gain will automatically "come in"without notice... (at least that's what it looks like- it doesn't even have a gain indicator!)
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Can someone send me the A1's manual? The link seems to be down. My email is akarol@ufl.edu.

Also, I do agree that lack of manual gain control might keep this camcorder from becoming a lot more successful than it should. If not using it for helmet cam, then I don't see why any professional would get the A1 instead of the FX1.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #54
Trustee

It could be a great alernative for HDV video when using a steadicam or steadicam device like the Merlin, because of it's smaller size and lighter weight than the FX1 or Z1.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #55
Major Player

My trv 900 had a gain icon display, even tough it wasn't controlable... Does the A1 have this information? This would at least give us some idea of what was going on...
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #56
Regular Crew

I agree. That would suffice to me. I doubt though.

I just really want to know if the "rolling shutter" effect is visible on the A1 and how well black strech really works.
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #57
Wrangler

I haven't used the A1, but starting with the TRV-950 and PDX-10 Sony "dumbed down" their cameras a bit. No display of F-stop or gain, just a bar graph. On my PDX-10 you can tell whether gain is applied once you get accustomed to the relative position of the bargraph however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #58
Trustee

"I just really want to know if the "rolling shutter" effect is visible on the A1 and how well black strech really works."

From what I have seen, the black stretch work extremely well, especially where low light would be involved, as the darks stay dark and give you better contrast and helps mainitain color better. The Z1 this feature as well, but the HC1 and FX1 do not.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I haven't used the A1, but starting with the TRV-950 and PDX-10 Sony "dumbed down" their cameras a bit. No display of F-stop or gain, just a bar graph. On my PDX-10 you can tell whether gain is applied once you get accustomed to the relative position of the bargraph however.

Boyd, any idea if this bar graph is on the A1? And is this bar graph something like an "equalizer display", with easy to read + (gain) display?
-------
(nogain) -
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #60
Regular Crew

I think when it comes to the data code (gain, iris, and shutter speed), the only visible setting during recording is the shutter speed. The remaining settings can only be viewed during Playback. Hopefully, I am wrong, but I highly doubt it.

That is something that really bothers me about the A1U. They aren't including independent gain/iris control, the least they can give us is a display of what setting it is on.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series