HC7 Reinsert the Cassette at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Major Player

HC7 Reinsert the Cassette

I'm having a problem with my Sony HDR-HC7 when I turn it on or sometimes just when going into play mode. The screen displays a "Reinsert the Cassette" message along with a flashing error code C:31:23. Ejecting the tape and reinserting it will sometimes fix the problem, sometimes not.

I tried changing tape but that doesn't help. The problem occurs much more frequently now and I must do something about it. I've also tried removing the battery and turning the camera on for a minute or more but that didn't help either.

Any suggestions other than sending the camera back again to Sony for non-warranty repairs?

Thanks,
Dave
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: HC7 Reinsert the Cassette

I've also tried pressing the reset button but it didn't help.

Sony's flat rate service price is $461.
Old March 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

On the East Coast, Armato's is well-respected. Might cost less than Sony.

Have you tried a proper cleaning?
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Adam. I did run a tape head cleaner through the camera and it didn't help.

I tried a variation on the reset that so far has worked. Here it is:

Disconnect power and remove battery

Turn on camera

Push reset button next to display/batt info button

Leave camera like this for 10 minutes or more

Turn off camera

Reinsert the battery.

I don't know why, but so far this worked. I searched the Internet for solutions and this seems like this is a common problem with the HC/3/7. Some people were having luck with hitting the underside of the camera, but I didn't try that. I couldn't find any reference to leaving the camera in the on position without the battery for 10 or more minutes. It's just something I tried.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but if the problem persists I'll contact Armato's.

Dave
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not had this problem with my HC3E, HC9E, or HC9.

If you're looking to change the camera, the HC9 is available, it's been used about five hours, and will be put on eBay in April.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Major Player

My solution to the problem was short lived and the camera's back to having the problem. Anyone have a suggestion to fix?
Old March 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
On the East Coast, Armato's is well-respected. Might cost less than Sony.

Have you tried a proper cleaning?
Adam,

Is this the Armato's you're referring to?
Armato's Pro Video
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I think so. Are there any others? I had thought they were in New Jersey, but I could be wrong.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Re: HC7 Reinsert the Cassette & Camcorder Repair

I'm following up on my old original post concerning the problem with my Sony HDR-HC7. The cassette mechanism on my camcorder became even more unreliable and nothing I tried would help. After looking at the cost of replacing the HC7 with a similar model I decided to have it repaired.

I had it repaired by Authorized Camera Repair in Willow Grove, PA. It's a small repair shop and they did an excellent job of repairing the HC7. Price was about $200 to replace the mechanism and clean everything including the heads. Repair time was as promised, which was about 3 weeks. Matt, the owner, told me that normally their repair times are less but they were swamped around the holidays.

It's great to have my lightly used HC7 working properly again and hopefully I'll prolong the use of miniDV tapes a little longer.
David Jasany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series