PAL Cinema effect mode on the HC1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Trustee

PAL Cinema effect mode on the HC1?

I noticed that the Cinema Effect mode on the NTSC version of the HC1 kind of uses the Cineframe 24 method. Does that mean the Cinema Effect mode on the PAL version of the HC1 would be like Cineframe 25 where every frame would be deinterlaced?

I live in the US but I am planning on getting 3 HDV cameras soon and I am trying to figure out which path to take to the cheaper of the 3 cameras. I haven't really picked out the main cameras yet but regardless of which ones I do the Hc1 should work well with them. I have been thinking of getting a European version of the HC1 to be able to shoot 25p or 50i. Then regardless if I get the SONY Z1 or JVC HD100 I could always shoot 25p. I shift the 25p to 24p for the NTSC market.

I realize the HC1 doesn't have very many controls but this will be a quick use camera or a lock down camera most of the time.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
I noticed that the Cinema Effect mode on the NTSC version of the HC1 kind of uses the Cineframe 24 method. Does that mean the Cinema Effect mode on the PAL version of the HC1 would be like Cineframe 25 where every frame would be deinterlaced?.
yes its deinterlaced giving half vertical resolution 25p

Quote:
I live in the US but I am planning on getting 3 HDV cameras soon and I am trying to figure out which path to take to the cheaper of the 3 cameras. I haven't really picked out the main cameras yet but regardless of which ones I do the Hc1 should work well with them. I have been thinking of getting a European version of the HC1 to be able to shoot 25p or 50i. Then regardless if I get the SONY Z1 or JVC HD100 I could always shoot 25p. I shift the 25p to 24p for the NTSC market.
yes that will work, conform to 24p and apply a 2/3 semitone smart pitch increase for the audio

Quote:
I realize the HC1 doesn't have very many controls but this will be a quick use camera or a lock down camera most of the time.
it has spot meter and shutter control via LCD panel

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Major Player

[QUOTE=John Jay]yes its deinterlaced giving half vertical resolution 25p]

John, why do you think it's half vertical resolution deinterlaced, and not 25p full vertical resolution progressive?
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre De Clercq
.John, why do you think it's half vertical resolution deinterlaced, and not 25p full vertical resolution progressive?
Dre,

I downloaded some CE footage from Kaku Ito's blog. -- Rainy day in Tokyo plants etc

In Canopus Procoder, I de-interlaced from the dominant field and opened the before-after comparison window at 1:1 magnification whilst stepping through the time slider. At no point did I see image softening - they looked pretty much the same even on rain streaks and overhead telephone wiring. Common sense tells me that if you start with de-interlaced footage and de-interlace it again then it should be pretty much the same, whereas if its full frame to start with a little softening should be observable. A 1956 resolution chart grab would of course be a better test.

Also the HC1 does not support progressive in video mode which is unlike the SD PC350 (and I believe the HC90) cams which do; correspondingly their CE modes are NOT deinterlaced because their images become noisy when CE is turned on.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

To me the concept of HDV is to get the best image possible, and the Cinema effect does degrade the image in HDV mode quite a bit. But I have found that if you use this effect when filming in HD on the HC1 or the Cinetone 25 on the FX1 and then DOWNCONVERT IN CAMERA TO STANDARD DV the effect is very good and quite usable.
Paul
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series