HC3 Broke down at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Major Player

HC3 Broke down

Don't wanna spend on fixing it. Looking for alternative to this cam, would love to keep it mini dv tapes but by the looks of things tapes are fading out. What should I look into? Considering Canon hf g10.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HC3 Broke down

What's wrong with it? Someone here just had their's repaired for $200.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Major Player

It records tapping sounds. Seems like the moving parts internally is creating this noise and is being picked up by the internal mic. You can hear it in play back, annoying. I had already paid about 130 to fix the LCD flex cable.
Old January 30th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm only about 4 years late with this advice. You should check the carriage that holds the tape and make sure the metal hasn't been bent so that it is touched by the rotating head drum. In these camcorders, there's only a small amount of clearance. I had this problem on an HC9, that was clicking and screeching. I took it in under warranty. The guy at the repair shop listened to my description, then opened the hatch, reached in and bent the carriage just a little bit back into place and said that it was fixed. It's worked fine ever since.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

My HC7 has a vertical sync issue with the LCD screen and the OSS likes to go "supersonic" with it's vibrations. The tape functions still work, and the OSS works under lower temperatures, but if it's left on for too long, the OSS goes supersonic in terms of it's vibrations.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series