Sony HDR-HC1 Stereo Mini Plug at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 1st, 2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HDR-HC1 Stereo Mini Plug

So the Sony HDR-HC1 has a microphone input that is a stereo mini plug. So what I'm wondering is, could I plug in a "Sereo Mini Plug to XLR" cable and get high quality sound by plugging in a Sennheiser ME66 to the XLR? Will this be as high of quality sound as it would be if the XLR plug was already on the camcorder? I know the Sony HVR-A1 has 2 XLR plugs already on the camcorder, but it is more expensive. So I was just wondering if this would work.

Something like these.

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/videoaudio.htm

I like the audio boxes on the top of that page, but can those be used with the Sony HDR-HC1?
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:34 PM   #2

Yes, you can plug the ME66 into the HC1. It might be a little high in output, so you'll want to be careful. The Beachtek boxes will work wonderfully with the HC1, yes.
XLR vs 3.5mm makes no difference to sound quality. It only makes a difference as to how long a cable you can run might be.

Bear in mind, the HC1 has a stereo mic; plugging in the ME66 will give you a mono recording.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess it would be good if it was mono. In my opinion, I think it would be better to have mono if recording dialouge in movies, so if I mix the audio to be 5.1 Surround Sound, I could place the dialouge where ever I wanted.
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM   #4

You virtually always want audio in mono when recording dialog. You also might want to spend a little time in the "Now Hear This" forum on this site, you'll find loads of great audio advice.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series