DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   how to decode the A1 manual (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/50924-how-decode-a1-manual.html)

Jos Svendsen September 12th, 2005 07:22 AM

how to decode the A1 manual

Hi

I was browsing through the A1 Manual, to see what functions I will be missing, when my HC1 arrives in two weeks time.

So far black stretch and cinegamma is the main functions I am missing. But I also found this in the A1-manual.

FULL SCAN

When you set [OFF] to the [steadyshot], it is possible to record it at any time by all pixels regardless of the zoom position.

OFF
Do not set this function
ON
It displays it by all pixels display.

Now - English is not my native language, so I would be very positive, if anybody could decode the above bit from the manual. For now I have no idea, what I will be missing. with my HC1.

Thanks and kind regards

Valery Karyakin September 12th, 2005 04:23 PM

Jos,

I think what it means is that steadyshot function, when ON, reduces the total number of pixels used to capture the image. How much is the reduction I'm not sure. Possibly around 5%. You have to search the forums for the exact figure.

Stu Holmes September 13th, 2005 01:48 PM

yes what full-scan essentially does is allow a (slightly) larger area of the CMOS sensor to be devoted to image capture. The thin-ish edge of the area is normally used by the Electronic Image Stabilisation to 'float' the image.
So with full-scan you are using more pixels for straight image capture and so in theory get a slightly better image quality (in theory) but of course you have no image stabilisation so will really need to use a tripod for this to work.

Those Sony manuals were so obviously written in Japanese first and then slightly badly translated !

Alexander Karol September 13th, 2005 02:45 PM

Not more pixels, the entire sensor is used.

I don't think any other HDV camcorder has this option at the moment. Is there one that does?

Jos Svendsen September 15th, 2005 12:30 AM

Thanks for the help. This is not a feature I consider essential. This leaves Cinegamma and black stretch as the main advantages for A1 compared to HC1

Stu Holmes September 15th, 2005 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
Not more pixels, the entire sensor is used.

i'm not certain that the entire sensor is used in full-scan mode as the CMOS sensor has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and, when recording in HDV, the aspect ratio is 16:9. Hence to get a 4:3 aspect ratio imager scaled to 16:9 would require different rates of scaling for each of the two dimensions.
So it's my interpretation that in HDV recording, around the actual 16:9 chunk of the sensor used is the thin band used for EIS (used for actual image in full-scan mode) and then that would still leave above and below that a band of pixels not used. - I think the full sensor may be used for 4:3 stills though.

i'm uncertain on this though, so if anyone knows for sure on this it'd be nice to know.

Stu Holmes September 15th, 2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen
Thanks for the help. This is not a feature I consider essential. This leaves Cinegamma and black stretch as the main advantages for A1 compared to HC1

plus a slowest-achievable zoom rate that we know is at least 3 times slower than that achievable on the HC1.
And don't forget also that you get the XLR audio module and short-shotgun mic with A1. And also a cold-shoe mount for direct-mount of external unbalanced mics, or other accessories such as video-light etc.

Alexander Karol September 15th, 2005 02:58 PM

It does make sense what you said. Maybe you're right.