DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   A1U Recalled?!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/51117-a1u-recalled.html)

Alexander Karol September 15th, 2005 08:01 AM

A1U Recalled?!?

Well, I have contacted B&H to finally purchase the A1U and I was told by their representative that it has been recalled. Some were shipped, but the rest were pulled back because of a minor flaw. He also has no speculation to when it will be available again.

Knowing that some of these representative don't know much about anything, I proceeded to call SONY myself and figure out what is going on. I was transferred from department to department and landed at the professional video repair center. The lady didn't seem to have any information regarding a recall, but she didn't seem to know anything neither.

I then re-called B&H hoping to speak to a more knowledgeable representative. This time I did speak with someone who seemed to know what he was talking about. Regarding to him, the A1U has minor firmware flaws and should be available really soon. He was expecting them back earlier this week, but it obviously didn't happen.

Now whether this recall is true or not, nobody seems to know. I was hoping that DSE might be able to contact his people and try to find out what is really going on. It does seem to make sense as I haven't seen the A1U widely available yet, and we are now in mid-September.

Anyone have any information?

Also, if you already own an A1U, I would contact SONY and see what is going on.

Sara Hardie September 15th, 2005 08:00 PM

Have been waiting also...

Supplier in Melbourne had said last week in August; then 15th September; now 21st Sept and I'd been hoping to film with it in the last week of September. I'll be hiring the HC1 at this rate. However, had not heard about any recall. SH

Alexander Karol September 15th, 2005 08:45 PM

Mine was just shipped from B&H today...should arrive next Thursday. Can't wait!

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 15th, 2005 10:36 PM

I don't know that there has been a recall. If you'll recall in my original review, I commented that the HC1 and A1 both displayed that the battery was nearly out before the battery actually died. Apparently with some batteries, the display may not be accurate. To my knowledge, this was being tested by Sony professional. Nothing was said about a recall, however, and I doubt there would be such a thing. I just asked the Sony Canada people about this, and they said that it's limited to a specific battery, and was resolved "a while ago" which I would assume was last week or slightly earlier. I've got mine here in Canada....I know they're shipping....I don't know why someone would say they were recalled when all I know for sure is that they were delayed for a couple days while being checked out.

Alexander Karol September 16th, 2005 06:15 AM

Well, everyone I talk to in B&H (I've talked to at least 6 people) have said the same thing. They had to return their 200 A1s to SONY and are just now received their batches again. They don't know what it is exactly, but they said it was something small on the firmware.