Lack of a Nice Slow Zoom on the HC-1 and A1: Hey Sony, This is a Serious Problem! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #16
Major Player

I've got a HC1, and to be honest, it doesn't bother me. You can zoom with the focus ring aswell.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I too have an HC1 and yes the zoom is fast - BUT - I don't like to use the zoom if I can avoid it. I am looking for a LANC controller for a new tripod and I'm hoping that I will have more control over the speed to slow it way down. And, I guess for now I will use the manal focus ring to accomplish these.

I just took my first video in September and WOW the zoom shots I accidently put in there made my feel sick. LOL. So, I edited them out! phil

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #18
Wrangler

You know, I don't have all my equipment in one place where I can test it now, but I have a feeling that my Z1's slowest zoom speed is faster than my PDX-10. I'm using a Varizoom Pro-L controller which lets you dial in the slowest speed the camera can handle. When shooting performances last week with the Z1 it seemed to zoom faster than I'm accustomed to with the PDX-10. Will try to time this next week.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #19
Major Player

Just want to report that I am using a Manfrotto 523 pro controller and the zoom speed with this on the A1 (and Z1) is sloooooooooooooow, and smooooooth. This is a very nice controller - and yes it does one touch autofocus even though there is no button or control for this on the camera - very impressive. One other thing - it integrates into the handle of all Manfrotto heads and the speeds are selectable and programmable. This is one very nice controller. You can even switch the camera on and off from it!
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #20
New Boot

Graeme,

The slowest speed reported from full wide to full zoom using a LANC controller on the HC1 and A1 is 24 seconds.

Would you please use a watch and report back to us what is the slowest zoom speed you can accomplish using your Manfrotto 523 with the A1?

Anthony,
Please do the same with your Libec ZC-3DV.

Thanks!
Todd Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Using a watch is a bit iffy. A much better way is simply to connect up the camera to your NLE, engage the slowest zoom and then inch along the timeline looking for the start and end of the zoom. Then it's a simple matter to ask the computer to tell you the length of the shot.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Todd,

I used the watch because it was easiest - and I don't think that a few frames will make a great deal of difference. Just for the record I made it 25 seconds - which I guess allowing for error is much in line with other best efforts.

Hope this helps.
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
You know, I don't have all my equipment in one place where I can test it now, but I have a feeling that my Z1's slowest zoom speed is faster than my PDX-10. I'm using a Varizoom Pro-L controller which lets you dial in the slowest speed the camera can handle. When shooting performances last week with the Z1 it seemed to zoom faster than I'm accustomed to with the PDX-10. Will try to time this next week.

I have noticed some irregularity using the Canon z1000 on the FX1 - its not as slow as on the pdx10 - dont ask me why. However using the FX1 zoom rocker I can easily achieve a full zoom from wide to tele or vice versa lasting 100 secs.

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #24
Trustee

Anyone tried making a DIY LANC controller?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
I have noticed some irregularity using the Canon z1000 on the FX1 - its not as slow as on the pdx10 - dont ask me why. However using the FX1 zoom rocker I can easily achieve a full zoom from wide to tele or vice versa lasting 100 secs.
I too achieved 105 secs with the FX1 zoom rocker - somehow that rocker can goes very slow but it's a little tricky to maintain, though possible with practice. This is what I would love to be able to reproduce with a LANC controller.

Using the Top Handle zoom (on the FX1) you can get 22 secs if you sec the zoom speed to "1" in the menu - and this is very close to the 24 sec and 25 sec LANC controllers in previous posts.

I also bought the cheapo $33 Sony RM-VD1 LANC controller (here at B&H) and you can get 12 secs zooming with that one.

My 'dream' LANC controller would be one that can ramp up at the start and ramp down at the finish to correct the lack of a smooth zoom on the FX1, go as slow as the Zoom Rocker, and incorporate button for the Rack Focus feature of the FX1.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #26
Wrangler

Here are some more timings and comments on LANC zoom speeds with my 3 cameras: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=387652
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Koorlander
Hi Todd .. belated reply .. but I've just bought the Libec ZC-3DV . .as I had the same complaints about the infitie acceleration zoom on my HC1E ...this liitle control sits on your tripod pan arm.. and allows massive control of the speed of the HC1E zoom .. from crawling slow to infinitely fast ... so it works through the LANC connection ... means that it's only a control problem on the camcorder.. not the actual motor behaviour in the camcorder.

Problem solved .. this control also fixes Panasonic camcorders too ..its format is switchable.
Hi Anthony

Can you let me know where you got your Libec controller in the UK please and how much it was ? and also a rough idea of how slow it will go please?

thanks in advance
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series