DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Audio Settings on the A1... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/52165-audio-settings-a1.html)

Alexander Karol October 3rd, 2005 04:19 PM

Audio Settings on the A1...

Well, I feel like the A1 manual does a very poor job at explaining the plethora of audio settings on the camcorder. More specifically, I am confused as to what the different settings do on the audio module, and how I can achieve optimum audio performance by manipulating some of the internal settings. Anyone out there knows what they're doing?

Thanks in advance...

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 3rd, 2005 04:46 PM

Specifically, what do you want to know?
for example, on the audio module, you can set which record channel the external mic is going to. (far left)
You can decide if it's line or mic level, (middle) and you can decide if phantom power is on/off. This won't affect your sound if you have a non-phantom powered mic connected, but is necessary if your mic doesn't have phantom.

Alexander Karol October 3rd, 2005 05:07 PM

Well, I don't get some of the terminology. What should I set the audio module to when just using the included microphone. I don't plan on adding any other microphones for a while. Should I set it to CH1 & CH2, or just CH1. What input level? Also, what is low cut?

I'm just asking because I trying recording friends of mine and it seemed to pick up people closer on the sides far louder than those straight ahead, but a little farther. Any way I can increase the distance and accuracy of the shotgun?

Is there anyway to use both the audio module and the microphone directly on the A1 simultaneously? Is this on by default? How can you manipulate each one's audio level?

Stu Holmes October 4th, 2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
Well, I don't get some of the terminology. What should I set the audio module to when just using the included microphone. I don't plan on adding any other microphones for a while. Should I set it to CH1 & CH2, or just CH1. What input level? Also, what is low cut?

I'm just asking because I trying recording friends of mine and it seemed to pick up people closer on the sides far louder than those straight ahead, but a little farther. Any way I can increase the distance and accuracy of the shotgun?

Is there anyway to use both the audio module and the microphone directly on the A1 simultaneously? Is this on by default? How can you manipulate each one's audio level?

low-cut is a low-cut filter. reduces response to a band of low-frequencies.
typically used to reduce wind-noise somewhat and mechanically-transmitted handling noise.

Audio levels etc??

RTFM.

Again.

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 4th, 2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Karol

Wellllll.....if the mic is plugged into channel 1, then you'd want the switch for that mic set to channel one. Look under the XLR connectors, you'll see them clearly marked "1" or "2".

No, you can't increase the distance and accuracy of the shotgun. Shotguns shouldn't be used indoors anyway; get a better mic if that's what you want to do. Indoors, shotguns usually tend to become fairly omnidirectional (all direction pickup) so you are likely hearing this from the mic if you're hearing sources to the side. Mics aren't like lenses where you can zoom in/out, contrary to what some manufacturers ignorantly label their mics with.

I don't have the A1 any longer; I didn't test the module with on-board mic, but I don't believe you can use them. Professional cams are designed to not use on-board mics. The A1 is no different. You can either use the onboard mics (I'm betting, according to the owners manual) or you can use off-cam mics like the shotgun.

Graeme Fullick October 4th, 2005 04:26 PM

Douglas,

You don't have the A1 any longer!

What made you decide to get rid of it?

I was seriously considering buying one as a backup for my Z1 - which was a little more portable.

Any good reason why I should change my thoughts on this?

Alexander Karol October 4th, 2005 04:57 PM

Well, he had a pre-production model; only for reviewing purposes. He had no option but to return the A1. Now the question is, is he buying one?