DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HC1 SteadyShot question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/52273-hc1-steadyshot-question.html)

Jung Kyu October 5th, 2005 10:26 AM

small question about hc1

if i use superstady shot on hc1 do i loss 25% resouloution?
becasue i can't tell the diffrence on my eyes.

Chris Hurd October 5th, 2005 10:32 AM

Moved here from XL H1 forum.

The "Super" in Super SteadyShot means no loss in resolution.

Pekka Uotila October 5th, 2005 10:38 AM

Sorry, I did send my message to awrong place... so I removed it.

Kevin Red October 5th, 2005 03:42 PM

How does it work then?

Alexander Karol October 5th, 2005 07:46 PM

The sensor isn't fully used for video recording. The sensor is actually 4:3. The extra edge is used for the recalculation of the stabilization system. Hence, when in photo mode, stabilization is off; utilizing the entire sensor area.

Stu Holmes October 6th, 2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

The sensor isn't fully used for video recording. The sensor is actually 4:3. The extra edge is used for the recalculation of the stabilization system. Hence, when in photo mode, stabilization is off; utilizing the entire sensor area.
The fact that the sensor itself is 4:3 aspect ratio is not directly relevant to how Electronic Steadyshot works.

When Elec.Steadyshot is active, it uses a border of pixels around teh actual area reserved for recording of the image, and uses this border of pixels to kinda 'float' the image. The camera 'knows' (either through analysing the "image + border area" and/or using a couple of gyrometers, how the camera has just been jiggled, and the camera then compensates and steadies the image by utilising the parts of the image that were temporarily in the border area.

As for photo mode, i am not entirely sure that EIS is disabled in this mode. Irrelevant that the photo mode captures in 4:3 aspect ratio, the same as the sensors physical aspect ratio. There's no reason why the camera couldn't use Steadyshot for the still picture. It will just be a 4:3 aspect ratio image area surrounded by a border of pixels for EIS to work, rather than a 16:9 aspect ratio image surrounded by pixels in video mode.
I could be wrong (i don't have an HC1/A1, Mr. Karol does) but i don't see any reason why EIS cannot work in photo mode and therefore i conclude that it probably DOES operate in that mode, unless you specifically switch it off.

rgds

Alexander Karol October 6th, 2005 02:48 PM

In ALL EIS SONY camcorders stab is disabled during PHOTO mode. I don't know about OIS ones. I don't think it would do that since OIS does not use sensor recalculation.

I have had a PC330, HC90, and now an A1 and they all disable STAB during PHOTO in order to utilize the full sensor. Well, if taking 4:3 pictures.