Anybody using non-Sony batteries? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 21st, 2005, 04:50 PM   #16
New Boot

Impact Battery Report

I just got a new Impact brand battery from B&H (I used the dvinfo sponsor link!) and it is compatible with my HVR-A1U.

Impact BP-QM71 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2v, 3500mAh) - replacement for Sony NP-QM71 Camcorder Battery

http://tinyurl.com/8b7u5

I hope it works for others, as well.

-David
David Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 12:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Impact Battery

I ordered two (2) of the impact batteries from B & H for my Hvr-A1u. The camera powered up for about 2 minutes then a message appeared (insert Info-Lithium Battery). I exchanged the batteries for the Sony NP-QM71D, M-Series, Info-Lithium, Battery Pack (7.2v, 2760mAh) with LED DISPLAY. No problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=Sony+NP-QM71+
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
Well the cheap generic Chinese "Sony" batteries (bought from two different distributers) gave me the same error message as the generics: "USE SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES". Amazing since the packaging looked perfect, holograms and all!
I love the idea of thinking I'm getting a good deal on accessories and I've made the mistake of purchasing Chinese-made Sony camera batteries on eBay from sellers (usually located in Hong Kong). However, after doing this a couple of times, I've decided I've had enough. I'll just go ahead and pay the extra money for a true-blue Sony battery.

Sad but true... many of the non-OEM/after market manufacturers in China have no sense of shame whatsoever when it comes to stealing a company's logo and slapping it on a woefully inferior product copy. Basically, "anything to make a buck" philosophy. This isn't just me doing some "China bashing." I've lived in Asia for several years and know this from first-hand living experience.

Randy
Randy Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I noticed a brand of generic batteries as Sears, called Lenmar. I looked at their site. They say their NP-QM91D replacement (their's is called a LISQM91) will work with the A1U and the HC1. They also say their QM71 replacement will not work with the A1U or HC1, nor will their NPFM50 replacement.

Have not tried one yet, though.

Thought I'd pass that along.
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #20
New Boot

Impact Battery Report 2: BEWARE

All was going well with my Impact brand BP-QM71 batteries until last Saturday night. I was shooting a concert; a multicam shoot with 4 other shooters and my Impact battery died halfway though my tape! This was a major problem because I lost sync with the 4 other cams.

My biggest problem with it was that the A1U said I had 100 minutes of battery left! Then 30 seconds later - no power. Obviously, the battery/camera communications were off. The battery should have lasted a lot longer than it did, too.

I will only use Sony batteries for critical shoots now.
David Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I said it before and I'll say it again.

For $37 you can get a GENUINE SONY QM71D battery from eBay. It's produced in Hong Kong, but it is indeed genuine. I contacted a Sony rep giving him my serial and he confirmed it. It has the hologram and everything. Can't go wrong with it.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Alexander - how do you know which ones on ebay are genuine Sony? There are 2 different reports from 2 users in this thread (Lawrence and Randy) who said they bought what they thought were genuine batteries from a distributor in Asia but were fakes (or just didn't work).

I'm asking because I'm in the market for some batteries for my A1U, but after reading these horror stories I'm defiantely going genuine.

I have actually had good experiences with Lenmar batteries as Jeremiah mentions (on a GL2), but I've heard of similar incompatibility issues with their Sony batteries.
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:12 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hmmm, I wouldn't worry. Just make sure that the vendor has pictures and look for a hologram on the packaging. Both the batteries I purchased (from different vendors) have been working like a charm. Also make sure that GENUINE is on the description and you should be fine.
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Impact batteries

I recently purchased an A1 from B&H along with a B&H recommended Impact brand QM71 battery. It seems to be working fine so far. Because it worked I ordered the Impact QM91 battery and it DID NOT work. I called B&H to get an RMA # and spoke with someone (sorry I don't know who) from the video department and was told that he personally tested 15 non-Sony batteries and some worked and some didn't. His recommendation was to only use Sony Batteries in this camera. He was also suprised that the Impact battery was a recommended accessory.
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Give the Hong Kong GENUINE Sony batteries from eBay a try. Have worked perfectly thus far. ;)
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I picked up a bunch of Rayovac NP-FM50 knockoffs from a surplus deal really cheap. They've been working fine in my TRV70, and came with palmcorder size camera bags to boot. Not sure what the heck to do with all these little camera bags though.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #27
Regular Crew

@ Alexander

I put my faith in you! I ordered a 'Genuine' QM71D from HK from seller 'xin_vancouver' on Ebay. He had very detailed images and the packaging looks legit, and he explicitly states he's sold a bunch of these and they all worked without issue and promises they are not knock-offs. He also offers a 30-day return, although shipping back to HK will be a pain. We shall see!

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #28
Major Player

Hope it works out Stevan.

My only slight concern is tyhat Alex has a very early A1 and the firmware (basiocally software) running on the A1īs seems to have been revised and later models seem to be rather more 'picky' about what battery they use.

But hereīs hoping you donīt have any issues with them !
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM   #29
New Boot

Just wanted to bump and see if there was any more 'news' about the Lenmar batteries and the Z1 (yes, I realize this isn't the Z1 forum, but the discussion was started here) -- it's refusing them outright, correct?
Anyone have any luck with the 'genuine' Sony batteries from eBay (Alexander/Stevan)?
Dave Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I bought both a Sony and an Assia brand on Ebay for my Z1 and have used both without problem for about 6 months. The charger treats both the same. The Assia cost about 40% of the Sony. It was advertised as a true Sony replacement.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series