Anybody using non-Sony batteries? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #31
New Boot

Power 2000 Batteries for FX1

I've been running Power 2000 NP-F970 Batteries for my FX1 for a year now with good success. I have only charged using the camera, not a charger. I hear that it can make a differnce where you charge batteries.

As an aside, I've also heard on dvinfo.net that some folks do not charge their batteries on their cameras for fear of zapping their cams. I still charge on the camera, but I am careful to turn the camera off before plugging and unplugging the charge cord.

I've lost the firewire on my FX1, my A1U, and my TRV11, somehow. These things are more sensitive than I thought!
David Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
I said it before and I'll say it again.

For $37 you can get a GENUINE SONY QM71D battery from eBay. It's produced in Hong Kong, but it is indeed genuine. I contacted a Sony rep giving him my serial and he confirmed it. It has the hologram and everything. Can't go wrong with it.
I'd really like to know which eBay dealer sold this particular battery that checked out as genuine with the Sony rep.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #33
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
I'd really like to know which eBay dealer sold this particular battery that checked out as genuine with the Sony rep.
I would like to know as well. I'm purchasing a new A1U and a VCL-HG0737X from B&H in a few days and I need some advice on what batteries to get. Obviously cheaper is better because I'm going to need a few of them, but I don't want to deal with some of the problems others have had in this thread :\

edit: I found a few of them on ebay, prices seem OK...

Is there any advantage using something like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ry_cart_detail to charge the battery vs. the camera?

Last edited by Paul Alberts; March 7th, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
Paul Alberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hello,

I received a couple emails from folks inquiring about the battery I purchased on eBay (a QM71D from xin_vancouver). I actually left my Portland home on the weekend for some extended travel and it unfortunately didn't arrive before I left. I'll be back in a couple weeks and can advise on how it worked out. In the meantime, I'll probably have to get ripped off at Best Buy or something similar, so ultimately my plan didn't really pan out anyways.

- Stevan
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:35 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I hope it works. I went ahead and bought one although the $15 caused me to pause. My camera arrives today, battery promised in a few days, so I'll see and report.

Something is wrong with a system of reusables, like print cartridges and batteries, costing so much that you feel like you are being ripped off. I can't believe quality control is the only thing involved here. Like I said, I've used and recharged the Assia battery with my Z1 a bunch of times without problem.

I think there is a clue in a friend's story. He prints a lot of DVDs bought and has several printers of the same brand because he sometimes finds the printer with cartridges the same or less than the cartridges alone. I was with him Saturday when he bought a similar model printer for $69 where the cartridges alone were $64. He didn't have anywhere to put another printer so he is using the cartridges to finish a 60 disc print job and giving the $5 printer with remaining ink to a friend who has big family, needs a printer but can't afford one.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

What happened to this thread? Now I'm really curious as to what everyone is using for batteries on the A1U/HC1.

I ordered a what was named and looked 'genuine' QP71D battery from Hong Kong via eBay. It arrived in about 2 weeks and looked totally legit, packaging and all, but will not charge in the A1U (charge light flashes). I got it to charge for just a couple minutes, tried it out and got the 'use sony batteries' message on the viewfinder. The only thing different than a real one at best buy is that mine had a red 'Demo' sticker on the front. The instructions looked a little sketchy, but overall packaging and compared to the battery I got with the camera, it looks near identical.

So what's everyone else using? B&H has the Impact batteries still listed as an accessory but earlier in this thread it's mentioned issues with them as well. I'm probably going to eat it and just buy real Sony batteries from here in the US. One problem with these non-Sony batteries on location and it's just not worth it.
Stevan Arychuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #37
Major Player

Well, I don't think the red Demo sticker means it's non-genuine Sony. Like you, I bought a "genuine Sony" battery according to the eBay description (but it wasn't from Hong Kong, just a regular seller). It came with realistic looking Sony packing, Sony instructions, and the red demo sticker. It works perfectly on my camera and during charging when attached to the camera. The battery itself I received says Sony on the back.

It came in original blister packaging unopened, and to me, it seems genuine. I can't tell if it isn't. I got it for $25-26 shipped, very cheap.

Also, in the physical Sony Style store at the mall, they sell the NP-QM71D battery, and of course those are genuine Sony, and they all had the red demo sticker.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I bought a few on eBay and they both seem to work fine! I don't get any sort of "Use Sony Batteries" message...

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...tem=7605572714

and

http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...tem=7605242312

Look at that vender's current auctions and you should see a few more. One of mine came with a charger that is a little sketchy but it charges both my after-market batteries and my original Sony battery just fine!
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #39
Tourist

New Vitapower 7.2v 7200mAh batteries

We specialize in 7.2v batteries for SONY cameras that offer high quality cells, hand picked by our highly trained Japanese engineers, with 7200 mAh! If you could please take a moment to view our product we would greatly appreciate it. Prices may vary depending on the Qty. purchased. MSRP $113.00 Discounts up to 45% off. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Zack Shannon
2390 Crenshaw Blvd., # 813
Torrance, CA 90501
www.vitapowerbattery.com
tel: 310-408-8945
fax: 310-781-9764
Zachary Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #40
Major Player

I was able to get a brand new, still in unopened original, genuine Sony packaging NP-QM71D battery off eBay for $25 shipped. Of course, I don't expect to find such a deal again, but just letting you know it's doable. My battery does not cause "use Sony batteries" messages and it charges perfectly well on the camera.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #41
Major Player

I don't have any genuine Sony batteries.

I purchased all mine on a knock-off website. They have not only performed beyond my expectations ...they won't die. No problems. In fact I'll go as far to say... Sony batteries are a rip off. MHO and everyone is entiltled to have one.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM   #42
MPS Digital Studios

Just a small note...I bought an XL1 in March 1999 with a canon battery and a generic battery. The generic one started losing it's normal charge faster within a few months and was dead in 18 months. I try to stick with the manufacturers' battery after that experience.

heath
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:52 PM   #43
New Boot

Non-Sony batteries

I have been using Lenmar Batteries and a Lenmar Mach1Speedcharger for my FX1 without any problems for over a year now.
John
John Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:20 PM   #44
Regular Crew

B&H sold a non Sony generic to me at NAB. I got home, recieved the battery, charged it and it is working fine. I trust them.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:53 PM   #45
Regular Crew

I am searching a replacement for Original sony NP-FP90 batteries for my HC-3. The HC-3 needs the newest Infolithium Chip, is there any experience out there for compatible (quality AND cheap) replacements ?
It would be nice to post some links, ebay sellers with compatible batteries or send ma a PM - thanks in advance!
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series