Anybody using non-Sony batteries? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Sorry. My post wasn't complete. I have a Z1 and an A1U. The battery I bought from B&H was for the A1U and was about half the price of the Sony. I bought a battery (Assia) from a guy on Ebay for the Z1 about a year ago, again, about 40 to 50% off. It is still performing well. Call B&H and talk to someone. They'll get you a battery that will work on your camera.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:49 PM   #47
Regular Crew

CTA Brand

I bought a QM91 replacement and a mini wall charger with a CTA brand. Used the battery for almost 3 hours the other day (about 1 haour of taping + 2 of standby). About $50 or 60 for both charger and battery. They make a FM50 replacement too - may try and get one. The 91 is HUGE, but it does say 320 min. to go when fully charged.
Lawrence Spurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Where did you buy? Have a link?
Old June 1st, 2006, 11:25 PM   #49
Regular Crew

overstock.com but I think I have seen the brand in some consumer electronic store as well.
Lawrence Spurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I have purchased a few NP-F970 batteries on ebay. Obviously they are knock offs as I only paid $40 each for them from Hong Kong. Really apart from the stamp on them that says NP-F970 is a little mis-aligned, they look identical, only feel a bit cheaper plastic. They seem to charge fine and operate no problem in my PD-170 with out any compatibility issues. I do not use them often due to them not being genuine.

My question is, if they work, are they safe to use, or should I toss them and buy genuine? I dont mind getting a knock off battery but if they can damage the camera, id rather pay the full price and get real. I charge the batteries in an external charger.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM   #51
Regular Crew

I would not have thought their would be much risk, but if you're worried use a voltmeter to check the battery output, and compare with your genuine batteries.

Basically all that is likely to happen with non-genuine batteries is that they won't last as long in operation, or they are an aged product in terms of the Lithium.

Lithium batteries have a finite life, which starts the moment they are manufactured, if the batteries sit on a shelf or are in use, they will still only last a maximum of three years before failing, and usually start to lose capacity after 12 to 18 months (think of laptop batteries).

Its possible they are repackaging old stock that has been on a shelf somewhere waiting to be encased in a battery pack specifically for your camera, but other than that I expect they will function correctly.

I have a mixture of Sony (Made in Japan) and Cameron Sino (Made in China) batteries operating my Sony HDR-HC3E and HDR-HC9 Camcorders, and I have had no problems relying on them.
Wayne Faulkner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series