DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Anybody using non-Sony batteries? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/52597-anybody-using-non-sony-batteries.html)

Jos Svendsen October 11th, 2005 12:45 PM

Anybody using non-Sony batteries?

Hi

I need a high capacity battery for my HC1, but is a bit reluctant to pay the steep prices Sony wants for a original battery. It seems that Sony has changed the battery mount, so ony newer sony batteries can be mounted on the camera.

So has anybody succesfully used non Sony batteries on this camera? The GP battery I have for my Sony PC101 will not mount on the HC due to the changed battery mount.

Laurence Kingston October 11th, 2005 02:54 PM

I just bought three generic batteries. The first day they worked fine and I threw out the packaging. After recharging them in a Sony charger however, I get a message to the effect of "USE REAL SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES"!

I have three real (hopefully), but dirt cheap Sony batteries on order that I found on eBay in China. It should take a couple of weeks for them to get here. From reports from other users, these should work fine.

Spike Spiegel October 11th, 2005 07:30 PM

i don't know if this helps but, i bought a 17 hour battery from ebay, for my vx2000. It works great, i wouldn't say it goes up to the full 17 hour claim, it might, but i've never charged it that long to figure out if it does. It hasn't caused any problems, i woudl recommend buying from a reputable battery reseller on ebay. Mine works just fine, 10 hours plus is a guarantee for this battery that i have...

Laurence Kingston October 11th, 2005 10:37 PM

The VX2000 has no trouble with generic batteries. It's the new HDV cameras that do some kind of internal label check.

Richard Firnges October 12th, 2005 04:19 AM

I have one generic battery for my HC1 (Label "Hama") . Works without problem.

Richard

Jos Svendsen October 12th, 2005 01:48 PM

Seems that the change in the batterymount is a somewhat higher guide pin, that is so high that only newer sony batteries can be mounted. The report that Hama batteries also works is positive, as the Sony battey prices are step.

Christopher Cruz October 14th, 2005 11:13 AM

If you end up getting real Sony batteries, Amazon gives you a pretty good discount when compared to the Sonystyle.com prices. Free shipping and no tax too helps out.

Selim Abdullai October 18th, 2005 08:59 PM

I bought 2 Brand New Sealed Sony NP-QM91D batteries for my Sony HDR-HC1 for $38.99 each. (Retails for $149.99 each.) I got them from eBay seller: carolgift. Check here to get some really good prices on Sony batteries. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarolgiftQQhtZ-1

Jos Svendsen October 19th, 2005 10:01 AM

Hmm

I ended up getting a real Sony Qm91 with a big discount because the box was open.

But the big battery gives a nice ballance to the camera as I'm using a Canon Wd58 wide conveter on it.

David Bourne December 11th, 2005 09:44 PM

Impact brand with Sony HVR-A1U

I've not tried one of these yet, but B&H has recently put Impact brand batteries on the Sony HVR-A1U accesories list.

Alexander Karol December 11th, 2005 10:50 PM

You know you can get genuine SONY batteries from Hong Kong on eBay for really cheap. I got the NP-QM71D for $37.00 about 2 months ago. I know it's still a little more than some generic ones, but you won't have to worry about third-party conflicts. You'll also be able to take advantage of the SQ technology and battery meter.

Christian de Godzinsky December 15th, 2005 02:53 AM

Hi,

I recently bought the HC1 and in the bundle was included an accessory battery (not original Sony). I ordered it from Pixmania. After receiving the stuff I noticed that the battery does not mechanically fit the cam. Even Pixmania does not know what the are doing...

You are better off using original batteries. However, I have som good experience with Hama products. But expect less performance for less money...

Christian

Rick Steele December 15th, 2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
The VX2000 has no trouble with generic batteries. It's the new HDV cameras that do some kind of internal label check.

Yes but I've found out that non-sony charger may not charge Sony batteries.

I ordered 2 "Impact" NP-F970's for my VX (made by Impact). They work fine, were about 40% cheaper than the sony's and charge correctly when using either the on-camera charger or a dedicated Impact charger.

But take a "Sony" battery and put it in that "Impact" charger and it won't charge.

So I guess I'm saying that it's not only the battery you select that's important it's also prudent to make sure the charger is compatible with all your batteries.

Laurence Kingston December 20th, 2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
I just bought three generic batteries. The first day they worked fine and I threw out the packaging. After recharging them in a Sony charger however, I get a message to the effect of "USE REAL SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES"!

I have three real (hopefully), but dirt cheap Sony batteries on order that I found on eBay in China. It should take a couple of weeks for them to get here. From reports from other users, these should work fine.

Well the cheap generic Chinese "Sony" batteries (bought from two different distributers) gave me the same error message as the generics: "USE SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES". Amazing since the packaging looked perfect, holograms and all!

Mick Jenner December 20th, 2005 10:15 AM

Cancelled posted in the wrong forum
Mick