Anybody using non-Sony batteries? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Anybody using non-Sony batteries?

Hi

I need a high capacity battery for my HC1, but is a bit reluctant to pay the steep prices Sony wants for a original battery. It seems that Sony has changed the battery mount, so ony newer sony batteries can be mounted on the camera.

So has anybody succesfully used non Sony batteries on this camera? The GP battery I have for my Sony PC101 will not mount on the HC due to the changed battery mount.
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I just bought three generic batteries. The first day they worked fine and I threw out the packaging. After recharging them in a Sony charger however, I get a message to the effect of "USE REAL SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES"!

I have three real (hopefully), but dirt cheap Sony batteries on order that I found on eBay in China. It should take a couple of weeks for them to get here. From reports from other users, these should work fine.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Major Player

i don't know if this helps but, i bought a 17 hour battery from ebay, for my vx2000. It works great, i wouldn't say it goes up to the full 17 hour claim, it might, but i've never charged it that long to figure out if it does. It hasn't caused any problems, i woudl recommend buying from a reputable battery reseller on ebay. Mine works just fine, 10 hours plus is a guarantee for this battery that i have...
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Major Player

The VX2000 has no trouble with generic batteries. It's the new HDV cameras that do some kind of internal label check.
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have one generic battery for my HC1 (Label "Hama") . Works without problem.

Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Seems that the change in the batterymount is a somewhat higher guide pin, that is so high that only newer sony batteries can be mounted. The report that Hama batteries also works is positive, as the Sony battey prices are step.
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you end up getting real Sony batteries, Amazon gives you a pretty good discount when compared to the Sonystyle.com prices. Free shipping and no tax too helps out.
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I bought 2 Brand New Sealed Sony NP-QM91D batteries for my Sony HDR-HC1 for $38.99 each. (Retails for $149.99 each.) I got them from eBay seller: carolgift. Check here to get some really good prices on Sony batteries. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcarolgiftQQhtZ-1
Selim Abdullai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Hmm

I ended up getting a real Sony Qm91 with a big discount because the box was open.

But the big battery gives a nice ballance to the camera as I'm using a Canon Wd58 wide conveter on it.

JOS. Svendsen
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #10
New Boot

Impact brand with Sony HVR-A1U

I've not tried one of these yet, but B&H has recently put Impact brand batteries on the Sony HVR-A1U accesories list.
David Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You know you can get genuine SONY batteries from Hong Kong on eBay for really cheap. I got the NP-QM71D for $37.00 about 2 months ago. I know it's still a little more than some generic ones, but you won't have to worry about third-party conflicts. You'll also be able to take advantage of the SQ technology and battery meter.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi,

I recently bought the HC1 and in the bundle was included an accessory battery (not original Sony). I ordered it from Pixmania. After receiving the stuff I noticed that the battery does not mechanically fit the cam. Even Pixmania does not know what the are doing...

You are better off using original batteries. However, I have som good experience with Hama products. But expect less performance for less money...

Christian
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:13 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
The VX2000 has no trouble with generic batteries. It's the new HDV cameras that do some kind of internal label check.
Yes but I've found out that non-sony charger may not charge Sony batteries.

I ordered 2 "Impact" NP-F970's for my VX (made by Impact). They work fine, were about 40% cheaper than the sony's and charge correctly when using either the on-camera charger or a dedicated Impact charger.

But take a "Sony" battery and put it in that "Impact" charger and it won't charge.

So I guess I'm saying that it's not only the battery you select that's important it's also prudent to make sure the charger is compatible with all your batteries.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
I just bought three generic batteries. The first day they worked fine and I threw out the packaging. After recharging them in a Sony charger however, I get a message to the effect of "USE REAL SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES"!

I have three real (hopefully), but dirt cheap Sony batteries on order that I found on eBay in China. It should take a couple of weeks for them to get here. From reports from other users, these should work fine.
Well the cheap generic Chinese "Sony" batteries (bought from two different distributers) gave me the same error message as the generics: "USE SONY INFOLITHIUM BATTERIES". Amazing since the packaging looked perfect, holograms and all!
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #15
Major Player

Cancelled posted in the wrong forum
Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series