In a fix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 26th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #1
New Boot

In a fix

I no longer have my A1U (long story) but have about 75 tapes shot with it over several years that I need to transfer to my computer. Can I use any HD mini-dv camcorder or deck to transfer the video, or should it be another A1U, or at least another Sony HD camcorder?
Kevin Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: In a fix

Any Sony or Canon HDV camcorder should do the job. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Chris is correct - IF the tapes were shot as 1080i HDV. If using 30p or 24p HDV modes, then there can be compatibility issues. For instance, my Sony FX7 only shoots 1080i and will NOT play 24p HDV tapes shot with other HDV cameras.

An inexpensive "player" camera for 1080i HDV tapes would be a Canon Vixia HV20, HV30, or HV40. They are on Ebay every day for $150-250. I have an HV20 that has been a real workhorse for many years.

I'm assuming your tapes are HDV. If shot as DV (standard def) then most any miniDV camcorder should play the tapes. Whatever you get, I would run a head cleaning tape prior to playing your tapes, as you don't know what brand of tape was used by previous owner and I've had first-hand experience that mixing tape brands can cause head clog issues.

Thanks
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Gentlemen, thanks very much for the replies. Yes, shot only on Sony HDV tapes in 1080i. Thanks for the Canon and head cleaner recommendations, I'll head to eBay and get this project going. Really appreciate the advice!
Kevin Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series