DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   Should I buy a HRV-A1U?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/53114-should-i-buy-hrv-a1u.html)

Paul Chun October 20th, 2005 11:56 PM

Should I buy a HRV-A1??

I'm going to Japan at the end of the month and I wanted to take a HDV camera with me. I'm not sure if I should buy something here or wait until I get to Japan. I'm also wondering if I purchase in Japan if it would be in English and also if I'd have to pay taxes and duty once I come back to the states.

I'm on the fence with this one and I like the small size and the ability to record in HDV without attracting too much attention if I take off the XLR box. I just don't want to purchase this camera now and 2 months from now Sony comes out with the A2U with the top loading cassette mechanism and some new cool features. Help me make up my mind... suggestions??? Should I buy and not have any remorse?

Fredrik-Larsson October 21st, 2005 09:32 AM

My guess is that IF Sony release something the next 2 months it would be a newer Z-model rather than an A-model.

You might be able to slip through custom without paying customs+VAT. But I think that Japan has a different version than the US. We have a different version here in europe.

Zack Birlew October 21st, 2005 12:37 PM

No, the Japanese models are NTSC. So it would be okay to buy one for compatibility's sake but I sure hope you know Japanese! The menus are all in Japanese by default, of course, and I had only been able to find some models sporting both English and Japanese language selections. If you want the A1, get it from here and don't feel bad, it's just been released basically so no new models are gonna pop up any time soon. I know you're probably buying the A1 for its size and even though it's cliche' for me to ask, but as one camera guy to another, if you're spending that much, then why not grab a Z1U?

Paul Chun October 21st, 2005 01:17 PM

Jack, thanks for the reply. Well, the reason I'm looking at the A1 vs the Z1 is the size and price. The Z1 is about $4,700 and a lot bigger. The A1 is about $2,700 and I can take off the XLR box and its basically a HC1, smaller, more compact and less noticable by the general public.

I'd love to get the Z1 but its 2k more and I just can't afford that at the moment, let alone its gonna be tough to use that as a camera for vacation. I really don't wanna lug around a huge camera like that and enjoy my vacation at the same time. I already own a PD170 and the thought of me lugging that camera around Japan is not desireable. I also noticed that B&H is closed until 10/27 and I'm not sure if I can order through them and get the camera in time before my trip so I may need to purchase it locally. I'd be spending probably another 50 to 70 bucks to purchase here.

Jung Kyu October 21st, 2005 03:41 PM

if u want better quality hc1 than i go for a1..a1 use 209mega pix and hc1 use 198mega pix for video recording.
a1 color is little more rich...i used my hc1 for about 2month now..i'm satisfied.
but most user can not tell the footage diffrence between hc1 and a1..

Markus Bo October 22nd, 2005 12:16 PM

I have the A1E now for two days rented to check it and my personal opinion is: MARVELLOUS!!!! Yesterday I tried succesfully a simulated stand up for TV - great and easy to do. In the evening I filmed a concert, fantastic and today I tried to simulate interviews from the left and the right of the cam and it works as well. Later I put all the stuff in my Liquid 6.1 and checked it in DV and HDV. I made my decision. In the next days I want one as the 2.cam - great!! The first still will be the HD 101 just because it's better for longer stories.

Markus

Paul Chun October 22nd, 2005 12:19 PM

Thanks Marcus! I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to pick one up locally as B&H cannot ship it to me before my trip. I'll let you guys know how it is once I get back from the store with my new toy.

Markus Bo October 23rd, 2005 06:03 AM

Hi Paul,

I think your decision is right because of two reasons. First you have a direct contact in case of problems and in a case of warranty you don't have to send it to a remote place. I made the experience quite a lot of times and now I will buy at a local shop close to my door.

Markus

Bob Plunkett October 25th, 2005 12:08 AM

Sony Cameras purchased in Japan

Sir:,

I live in Nagoya City Japan. I don't think you will be able to buy a Sony here in English. I buy my computer and camera items in California and of course, the cameras come with several different languages; not so in Japan.

Bob Plunkett.