Bottom Loading Solution! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
I would rather have the built in feature of Balanced XLR compared to an XLR box to a mini 1/8 connection, as I should have said that I am not a fan of using 1/8 connections for relying on audio.
Is there any camcorder the size of the HC1/A1 that offers XLR in? I would think that it would add undesirable bulk to a device that's meant to be compact. I know XLR is desirable, but the connectors are very large.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
it seems noone makes a tripod adapter right now for bottom loading cameras, that enable you to change the battery and tape without removing the camera from a tripod..
I think this thread has shown that there are tripod adapters.

I made my own adapter that takes a slightly different route. I am considering marketing it after I get feedback from users.

http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtape.jpg
http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtable.jpg
Old November 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
I made my own adapter that takes a slightly different route. I am considering marketing it after I get feedback from users.

http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtape.jpg
http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtable.jpg
Jeff,

That looks nice...and very similar to an idea I have as well. I'd be interested in purchasing one from you if you market them.

What materials are you using and how much will you be charging?
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #34
Trustee

"I think this thread has shown that there are tripod adapters."

Jeff it looks good, but the only problem would be that it wouldn't be tall enough to use on common tripod heads like the Bogen 701RC or Bogen 501/503 where the tripod head is considerably larger.

Shown here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
or here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

That is the problem with the other tripod adapter, as it is only "1" inch in height and you need at least an additional 1/2 to 1 inch of height to enable you to remove the tape while still on the tripod.
It would work great with a monpod with just a pan tilt head or quick release only, but not with most standard tripod heads.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Perry
That looks nice...and very similar to an idea I have as well. I'd be interested in purchasing one from you if you market them.

What materials are you using and how much will you be charging?
Thank you. The block is anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware. I'll probably be charging $20 each. I have arrangements for some ads, including some with this site. I am setting up a web order site to sell them, currently I have a few listed on eBay.

Quote:
Jeff it looks good, but the only problem would be that it wouldn't be tall enough to use on common tripod heads like the Bogen 701RC or Bogen 501/503 where the tripod head is considerably larger.
Height or thickness really isn't an issue. With my design, I literally sidestep the issue it by offsetting the camera to the right so that the tapes can clear the head.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; December 3rd, 2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: content, grammar and style
Old December 3rd, 2005, 07:29 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Height or thickness really isn't an issue. With my design, I literally sidestep the issue it by offsetting the camera to the right so that the tapes can clear the head.
One of my concerns with offsetting the camera to the right is how it could affect panning. The camera is no longer being rotated the way it would be if it were centered on the tripod.

This could cause panning errors that may or may not be a negative when one is panning a scene. Might be helpful to see short before and after video clips of 180 degrees of panning.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye
One of my concerns with offsetting the camera to the right is how it could affect panning. The camera is no longer being rotated the way it would be if it were centered on the tripod.

This could cause panning errors that may or may not be a negative when one is panning a scene. Might be helpful to see short before and after video clips of 180 degrees of panning.
I'll have to think about how to test that. I have a couple obstacles to surmount before I can record footage of a pan. If it will cause problems, I think it would be most obvious for the very closest objects, maybe a foot away. On my tripod, the offset needed for the tape to clear the head isn't much, only about 1/2" or 13mm, for larger heads it is 3/4" or 19mm. Because the offset was small relative to the target, I had assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

The tripod I was using is malfunctioning and I'm getting a new one so it will tilt and pan properly. The camera's focus and zoom mechanism was damaged in some sort of accident, so my camera will be serviced soon.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
I'll have to think about how to test that. I have a couple obstacles to surmount before I can record footage of a pan. If it will cause problems, I think it would be most obvious for the very closest objects, maybe a foot away. On my tripod, the offset needed for the tape to clear the head isn't much, only about 1/2" or 13mm, for larger heads it is 3/4" or 19mm. Because the offset was small relative to the target, I had assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

The tripod I was using is malfunctioning and I'm getting a new one so it will tilt and pan properly. The camera's focus and zoom mechanism was damaged in some sort of accident, so my camera will be serviced soon.
When I visualize what is happening in my mind I see it as the camera is moving a little backwards when panning to the right and a little forward when panning to the left instead of just simply rotating.

How much depends on the amount of off-set there is.

This would be a problem for me because I am doing mostly video of Church services in the balcony and if the camera does move backward that would bring the rail into view as I pan to the right. Would be less of a problem panning left.

Also it would make it look like the camera is moving foward when panning left and backwards when panning right. That's because it actually is, instead of just simply rotating. How much it would look that way also depends on the amount of off-set there is.

Also since the camera is moving and not just turning, it seems like it may take a little more movement of the tripod head to get the same amount of panning that would normally be achieved.

Another thing is that my camera is tilted downward at about a 45 degree angle while panning the congregation and the offset could cause the way the people look to be off.

I think it would have a more negative affect on distance and/or how things look at a distance when zoomed in than what is close.

It's a question of angles, position and distance.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye
This would be a problem for me because I am doing mostly video of Church services in the balcony and if the camera does move backward that would bring the rail into view as I pan to the right. Would be less of a problem panning left.
Dan,

I can guarantee you that a half inch offset will be unoticed.
Old December 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Thank you. The block is anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware. I'll probably be charging $20 each. I have arrangements for some ads, including some with this site. I am setting up a web order site to sell them, currently I have a few listed on eBay.

Jeff. the problem isn't that the adapter would get in the way, but the tripod head would get in the way.
The problem with the other tripod adapter is that there isn't enough height for the tape to be able to drop out of the tape bay. The tripod head on the Bogen 501 is wide which prevents this. I don't know what kind of tripod head you are using in your picture, but it looks quite smaller than that of a Bogen 501 or 503.
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Jeff. the problem isn't that the adapter would get in the way, but the tripod head would get in the way.
The problem with the other tripod adapter is that there isn't enough height for the tape to be able to drop out of the tape bay. The tripod head on the Bogen 501 is wide which prevents this.
I meant the tripod head, not the adapter. I understood what you meant, and this design is intended to slightly relocate camera such that the tape housing mechanism would eject beside the head.

I can't find hard numbers on the head dimensions of the models you quoted. If the tripod head of the Bogen is less than 4" wide, or rather, less than 2" from center of the head's screw to right edge of the head, my adapter will allow the complete removal and insertion of the tape without interference. The tape would be to the right of the right edge of the head, just enough that the head doesn't interfere. The side offset of the tape eject mechanism and the adapter both work to make this possible.

I suppose I will have to come up with a visual way to show how this works.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; December 4th, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old December 4th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I ordered one yesterday from Ebay. The bottom loading problem was especially bothersome to me because I was having to rebalance my Glidecam every time I changed tapes. I have a quick release adapter on there, but I was having to remove the adapter plate from the bottom of the camera to remove the tape. Even with the adapter I know I'll still have to uncouple the quick release adapter to get the Glidecam plate out of the way. I'll let everybody know how it works out when it gets here.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
I meant the tripod head, not the adapter. I understood what you meant, and this design is intended to slightly relocate camera such that the tape housing mechanism would eject beside the head.

I can't find hard numbers on the head dimensions of the models you quoted. If the tripod head of the Bogen is less than 4" wide, or rather, less than 2" from center of the head's screw to right edge of the head, my adapter will allow the complete removal and insertion of the tape without interference. The tape would be to the right of the right edge of the head, just enough that the head doesn't interfere. The side offset of the tape eject mechanism and the adapter both work to make this possible.

I suppose I will have to come up with a visual way to show how this works.
Jeff, quick question. Are there threaded holes on the bottom of your adapter, for mounting a quick release plate (Bogen 3272) for my Bogen tripod?
I work with both a tripod and a DVRig Pro which has the Bogen 3273 Quick release assembly on it.
So I would have the adapter attached to my camera, Mightywondercam (Mini Rover handle bracket for light wireless or mic etc.) attached to the adapter, and quick release attached to the Mini Rover.

Camera>Your Adapter>Mini Rover>Bogen 3272 Quick Relase Plate>Tripod or DvRig Pro
Old December 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #44
Major Player

BOTTOM LOAD FOR HDR-HC1 / hvr-a1u OPTION

I saw this one on ebay its a base plate adapter and looks pretty stable. $19.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-f...QQcmdZViewItem
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes
I saw this one on ebay its a base plate adapter and looks pretty stable. $19.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-f...QQcmdZViewItem
Brian it's the same tripod adapter. Jeff developed the design and is selling it on ebay as well. I figured that I would ask him here, rather than ebay, this way we all can share in any information.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series