Bottom Loading Solution! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 24th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Bottom Loading Solution!

Very clever little invention, this.

www.tripodadaptor.com
Todd Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Tourist

to solve bottom loading problem all you need is this

to solve bottom loading problem all you need is this ( 6.95 at B&H)
a Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud with 1/4"-20 Screw - for Super Clamp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Avner Levona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

what's the accessory item for Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud? It said its required and it's $25.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Tourist

did you clicked on the link? it's a brass pin
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #5
Major Player

yes, i clicked the link. I'm refering to the clamp product below it listed under the accessories.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DdqJxvCzJT!-1180261542?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=5166&is=REG

I just want to know how that pin is intended to be used in conjuncture with that clamp accessory. I can't see the other side of the pin, so does it have a hole for mounting on the tripod plate or is it only intended to be used with that clamp accessory?
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Tourist

You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner Levona
You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question

It looks unstable. You could rip the bottom off of your camera.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree. It does seem quite unstable. I believe the first solution would be best.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

just ordered

I just ordered the first solution posted. I'll post my opinions when it comes in.
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #10
Tourist

Bottom Loading Solution!

It works very well for me, it's easy to take off(using screw drivers etc.), no need to be stuck with it if you don't need it , and can be easily attached to my custom made Manfrotto Rig I've made with a snap. but this is only my way, not the only way.
Old November 12th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I can definitely recommend the adaptor from

www.tripodadaptor.com

I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera). It also allows me to easily change batteries on the camera (something that's difficult with a tripod because of the battery release latch underneath the battery) without unscrewing the quick-release plate.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee
Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?
It's no loss not being able to use the pin. It's pretty much the same thing as the connector that comes with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

You can't see it in the picture, but the clamp mount is two pieces connected by a small brass connector with threads on each side. It broke in half after 2 days. Even if the brass pin had been threaded on both sides I wouldn't suggest using it to support anything.

Off topic, but I DO recommend purchasing the above clamp mount, throwing away the brass thingy and purchasing this to go in it's place:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I had to buy some threaded rod to connect the plate to bottom half of the mount. Combined, these parts make up my favorite piece of mounting equpiment. I use it everywhere I go. On fences, railings, rollbars in cars, desks, tables, road signs, etc.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #14
Trustee

"I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera)."

Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot
Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.
Yes, the adaptor is attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate. But, as you indicated, the problem is my particular tripod head is too wide. There's enough clearance for the Sony tape drawer to eject completely, but not for me to remove the tape without damaging it or the tape drawer. (By the way, I have a cheap Best Buy tripod that doesn't have the clearance problem, so your tripod head may be fine.)

I'm able to change batteries without releasing the mount, just not change tapes. That being said, it's a very quick process to release the mount, change tapes, then pop the mount back onto the tripod head. Much better than the current option of unscrewing the quick release mount prior to changing tapes.

If you're interested, I can measure my tripod head to give you an idea of whether it would work with yours.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series