Make a A1 from HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Make a A1 from HC1

Already did someone read the firmware from the A1? Perhaps it is easy to making a A1 from HC1...

See: http://www.fxsupport.de/hc1/index.html in the middle of this side - programming firmware (german).

http://www.schnellsuche.de/kostenlos...uAnleitung.htm to making a programming adapter for lanc and free software.
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

<sigh> They tried doing the same thing to turn a TRV-950 into a PDX-10. But the real question is WHY would anyone go to all this trouble, and void their warranty.... instead of just buying an HVR-A1 or a PDX-10? :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

In germany costs a Sony A1 2700,- Euro, the HC1 only 1400,- Euro. A little programming the byte is free ;-)
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Being that it is all in German I could be looking at the information and not even know it.....

Danny Fye
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Winne
In germany costs a Sony A1 2700,- Euro, the HC1 only 1400
Well here in the US there's an old saying, "You get what you pay for." ;-)

Seriously, you could ruin your camera by messing around with the firmware and it certainly would void the warranty. I'm not all that familiar with the A1 vs HC1, but I never thought those hacks made sense for the TRV-950 and doubt that many people ever tried them.

However, I know that Sony's newer low(er) cost cameras have moved almost all the functions away from dedicated controls to touch-screen menus. If that's the case then a firmware hack might be more practical I suppose.

But personally I think it makes little sense. If you need the pro version you should buy it. Aside from the additional features, the A1 is supported by Sony's broadcast division instead of their consumer division. This entitles you to a much higher level of service, and is something which is also reflected in the higher cost. And of course you also get the XLR box and shotgun mike which don't come with the HC1. For that matter, does the HC1 have an intelligent hot shoe that's even compatible with that box?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

"You get what you pay for."

yes, that is always like that.

In Germany works on the firmware nothing unusual is because of customs regulations (Zoll) at the cameras for Europe the DV-In processing turned off therefore is to reprogram by firmware nothing unusual.

The HC1 is still new, perhaps but there is soon a code around also with films the exposure time and gainboost in the monitor to see.

I hope my english is understandable? Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr) is my friend.... ;-)
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Major Player

To me, the most important thing about the A1 vs the H1 is the standard shoe mount. The firmware differences are nice, but I could live with less features. Being able to mount a shotgun and a wireless mic are features I really need though and you need the standard shoe mount for that. Yeah, the shoe mount is kind of expensive, but you do what you've gotta do!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #8
Major Player

You get a really nice mount for the HC1 using a standard flash mount handle from Hama. The ones you normally use for still photography. It's $12. And it gives you really nice operating features.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wolf, I love ya, but i can't understand a word you're saying and babelfish isnt helping.
I want to hack my HC1 to get some A1U features, but I need the instructions in detailed and concise english! Anyone have any luck with this?

Trust me, if i had the extra cash, i would have bought the A1U.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The HC1 will NEVER be the A1U. The firmware additions are minute compared to the XLR ability and normal shoe that the A1U has.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:21 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P. Cuenco
Wolf, I love ya, but i can't understand a word you're saying and babelfish isnt helping.
I want to hack my HC1 to get some A1U features, but I need the instructions in detailed and concise english! Anyone have any luck with this?

Trust me, if i had the extra cash, i would have bought the A1U.
I do what he does all the time to check out foreign sites, goto http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr and put in the URL for the site he was referencing with German to English for the translation, took about 2 minutes but the entire article is very readable this way.

ML
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
The HC1 will NEVER be the A1U. The firmware additions are minute compared to the XLR ability and normal shoe that the A1U has.
yea yea yea. so i wont have xlr ability and a normal shoe. im getting a beachtek and i already have rods support. im more concerned with the a1u features. such as black stretch and cinematone.

miguel, ill keep crackin' at it. btw, i bought the service manuals for both the a1u and the hc1 as a reference and a just incase.
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #13
New Boot

Leon Bruk

Does Hvr-a1u Has Built In Mic If Don't Want To Shot With XLR FeaTures?
Leon Bruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Wolfgang, we have just been talking about enabling black-stretch on the HC1, which apparently is done somewhere in northern Europe. Do you know anything about black-stretch feature, or independent aperture/shutter/
gain, or live status display of these?

For everybody: The HC1 is a very good camera for what it is, the only thing that really lets it down is HDV, given higher data rate (35Mb/s+) F1.2 lens (maybe 1/2inch sensor) for low light, true progressive modes, black-stretch, independent aperture, shutter and gain, and live display of the same it would be an ideal camera. But the only things we can really do about these is find a way to enable black-stretch, and independent aperture/shutter/gain and display.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

http://www.fxsupport.de/hc1/daten/hc1.txt
that is my completely HC1E firmware (SecurityDump). And here: http://www.fxsupport.de/hc1/daten/hc1zoom.txt is the firmwaredata if the really smooth zoom (trans shot) activ. there 41 data differently..... Page 1 of firmware is not to reading with lremote...?

if i have mutch time, i testing writing in the firmware the smooth data...... if i have a A1 than i reading this firmware with black-stretch!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series