HVR-A1 downconversion query at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-A1 downconversion query

Is it possible to record in HDV and downconvert to DV in the 4:3 aspect ratio ? And if so how do I winkle this out of the labrinthine menu system. If not what is the best way to output the downconverted DV for compatible editing with footage from 4:3 only camcorders ? Any advice greatfully received.
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

The A1 has the 4:3 downconversion. The HC1 does not.

In the A1 menu there are three downconversion options: stretch, letterbox and 4:3 crop.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Laurance,
That more or less confirms what I thought. If you record in HDV you should downconvert using Edge Crop to fit in with a 4:3 edit. I suppose with a good quality wide angle adaptor you would recover the cropped edges ? If you record in DV rather than DVD there is a Wide Select setting which allows you to record in 4:3. I imagine this gives you exactly the same size picture as the DVD Edge Crop but without the HDV quality ?
Mike Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just to avoid confusion about down converting. Pg. 56 of HDRHC1 instruction manual says: i.LINK Convert Set to on (Auto setting), HDV converted to DV. Hope this helps.
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series