Help! Lousy color rendering, especially red tones -anyone else than me? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM   #31
Major Player

I don't have my warranty cards/boxes/etc. with me right now, but I bought my camera in April 2006 - how long does the warranty last? I didn't register, so I didn't receive the extended 6 months or whatever offer that was, but I should be able to do that anytime right?
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Alex,

Here in Europe a normal warranty is one year from the day of purchase. That is why they want to see your receipt since very few dealers anymore stamps of handles the warranty card anyhow.

You do not have to register here for anything. Your system over there might be different. Probably you are much wiser after a call to a Sony representative :)

Christian
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:38 PM   #33
Major Player

Actually it might be more than one year. Especially if you bought it as a consumer. Even though a manufacturer say there is only one year warranty it might actually be longer by law and then the manufacturer can say whatever... at least that's the case in Sweden... Ironically very few know about it and figure there is a 1-year warranty on everything...
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM   #34
New Boot

Okay, I am in the US so I called the 1-800-222-7669 and spoke with an agent. She ran me through the usual troubleshooting routine and I explained to her that this is a known issue with Red color reporduction and general color saturation (and that I would like to get my camera firmware upgraded to correct the issue). I purchased the camera in April 2006. She explained that there is no known issue in their system for the HDR-HC1 and that the best that she could do, was to have me ship the camera to their service center in Connecticut to be examined (for which I would pay shipping to/from and labor....you see the camera only has a 1-year parts warranty and 90 days labor). I politely declined. So, back to the issues at hand.

How do I know what version firmware my camera has (is there a way to get into a service menu?

Why doesn't Sony US acknowledge this issue?

Anyone in the US have any luck getting their camera firmware upgraded by Sony (particlarly agter the 90-day labor period ran out)?
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:21 PM   #35
Trustee

Does mackcamera have a way of doing this? They might be able to help.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Hi Alex,

It is daydreaming to believe that such a thing would be acknowledged by Sony, or a service representative. They probably actually never head of it, at least officially. I myself contacted here locally Sony people that should have known about this issue, but I just got the same answer as you, "send it to the service to have it examined". 5 days later I picked up a fixed HC1. I am lucky to live just 5 miles from that location.

I have ordered a service manual and will immediately tell you how to check the firmare version(s). That migh take still some 2 weeks.

Happy Holidays !!!

Christian
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #37
Trustee

Keep up posted Please!
Did you have to pay for servicing? I thought if it was under warranty you still had to pay $125.00 or something?
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:38 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi,

Nope - I paid nothing. A warranty is a warraty - right? I understand that in some circumstandes you have to pay for the shipping... but not for the warranry repair.

I will keep you posted on how to check the firmware, but I am on vacation until the 10th of Jan so do not expect anything before that :(

Merry X-mas !!!

Christian
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #39
Tourist

Hc1 Red Color Problem Solved

I own hc1, fx1, and fx7.

HC1 doesn't do strong red.
Here's how i fixed it. bring it up in vegas (for my vegas version, i have to bring it in through capdvhs) and did the color correction on it to match that of images taken by fx7 (fx1 is a bit too reddish). add video event fx, add color corrector (one that has three circles on it) and incrase low land mid levels (not high) to about 1/3s way up to red (90 degree is red).

and now it is PERFECT.

This is MUCH better way to fix than to meddle with firmware or settings.
in the past, i tried color saturation +2, +3 during filming. But that just offsets entire red channel and alias with greens.. so that didn't work.

in similar fashion, I lower reds in fx1. i try to make color look like fx7 on all three.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #40
Trustee

thanks for that - but if a firmware is available it is a good option because it means less messing around in post.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Hi,

Yes - you can do miracles in postprocessing. But - how can you correct this problem with a fixed color filter when you don't know how the HC1 erroneosly processes the reds under different lighting conditions?

This is more like compensating for the symptoms. Additionally, post color corrention increases the rendering time dramatically - and it is is already slow if you run in HDV mode and have added some other postprocessing.

So, as a last resort, do it in post. But why not get the the HC1 fixed when it can be fixed???

You have, independent of this, always a problem to achieve good color matching when combining material from different models or makes of cams.

Can anyone direct me where to find a good (an not too expensive) printed color test chart to shoot before shooting the actual material - to be able to do the color matcing in post? Would it be possible to print a suitable one with a decent color printer? Does such printable document exist somewhere?

Christian
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #42
Trustee

IS there a url of a list of Sony repair centers? I just got a used HC1 and want to send it in before warranty runs out. I am in the Western NY area/Buffalo.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Help! Lousy color rendering, especially red tones -anyone else than me?

<IS there a url of a list of Sony repair centers? I just got a used HC1 and want to send it in before warranty runs out. I am in the Western NY area/Buffalo.>

Try:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select...ome:btnSupport

Hope that helps,
Peter
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #44
Trustee

How are you guys getting this for free? I checked into it and this is what it told me (still under warranty) :

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $249.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This is a steep price to pay to get the reds fixed, but yet I have read some people posting that they got it down for free?!?
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney
How are you guys getting this for free? I checked into it and this is what it told me (still under warranty) :

The cost to repair this unit under our Flat Rate Program is $249.00, (plus any applicable taxes). Return shipping is included in this price.

This is a steep price to pay to get the reds fixed, but yet I have read some people posting that they got it down for free?!?
I think it depends in what country you live in. In sweden we are protected by consumer laws that gives us certain rights. It might be very well that you have the right to free warranty but they try to hustle you anyway since consumer might be unaware of their legal right.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series