Extending the Viewfinder with Big Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 23rd, 2005, 09:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Extending the Viewfinder with Big Batteries

I just got a QM71 battery. Now my viewfinder is too far away from my eye.

How do I extend the viewfinder's length so that it matches the long battery length?

Thanks.
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The viewfinder doesn't adjust on the HC1. (Not sure about the A1). Though with the QM71, I still find the viewfinder is ok. On the larger 91 battery it more of an issue.
Mark
Mark Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

That is suprising that it is not adjustable. So with the QM91 battery the viewfinder would be useless!
Old December 25th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #4
Wrangler

That is unfortunate. I always thought that the fact you can't tilt the viewfinder on the H1 and A1 was a step backwards for Sony. On the PDX-10 (and maybe TRV-950?) the viewfinder tilts and also slides towards the rear to accomodate the QM-91 batteries.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bryant
Though with the QM71, I still find the viewfinder is ok.
I find it very awkward and uncomfortable with the QM71.

I wished they made a QM51 (do they?) which would be smaller than the QM71 buit still provide 90-120 mins of power.
Old December 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I don't know what kind of HC1 you guys are using but my HC1 viewfinder tilts almost straight up. I also have the np-qm71D battery and it doesn't get in my way even with the viewfinder all the way down. A larger battery, however, would be a different story.

Just an idea... Get a larger eye piece that was deeper. The eyepiece on this camera is shallow enough that I cannot press my eye flat against it without my eyeball touching the glass. A deeper rubber eye piece would not only get your cheek off the bigger batteries but would also shut out any edge light. I think I saw some other post discuss a suitable eyepiece that was quite a bit deeper.
Chaz Kempter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #7
Major Player

I have the big battery. This gives the camera a nice balance as I m using a Canon Wd-58 wideangle converter. You get used to tilting the viewfinder, so for me it is not a big problem.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series