What do you guys carry your HC1 around in? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 26th, 2005, 07:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What do you guys carry your HC1 around in?

I am wondering if any of you have found a suitable backpack style carrier or any other style carrier for high impact sports carrying. I am going skiing and want to carry my HC1 so I can ski ahead then stop and film my rookie friend as he tries not to kill himself catching up. (very competitive) A few things of note. It must be quick to take off or slide to the front for easy ski lift loading and still leave both hands free. (one for my poles and the other for grabbing my buddy by the collar as he attempts to navigate the lift.)
Thanks.
Chaz Kempter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Buy a lunchbag. ONe of the insulated ones. It's a helluva lot cheaper than a lowel pro camera bag or a portabrace bag, and it keeps your camera protected.
Albert Henson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

cheap yes, but how well can you ski with a lunch bag.
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sounds like you're looking for something like this:

http://www.tamrac.com/5747.htm

Looks to be a little small. They have bigger bags, but I haven't seen a bigger bag in the sling type. I have a generic version of one of their bigger backpacks. It's served me well these past few months in my outdoor run and gun projects.

Albert: Lunch bag? You can't be serious. You mean the vinyl type with the foil insides that have Hello Kitty or Pokemon printed on the outside? Zippered or velcro?
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Henson
Buy a lunchbag. ONe of the insulated ones. It's a helluva lot cheaper than a lowel pro camera bag or a portabrace bag, and it keeps your camera protected.
There are are plenty of nice padded bags that are specifically designed with cameras and camcorders in mind that only cost around $20, including several from Lowepro. I spent about that much for a nice bag from Best Buy. Whether it would help Chaz, I don't know. If you have something specific in mind, I would look around, especially with camera specialty shops.

This is what I have:
Trax TCB 50

It has an easy shoulder strap as well as a quick clasp fast opening and closing.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hello guys ,
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the tamrac, but thought that carrying the hc1 vertical would put undue stress on the camera's focus ring or viewfinder depending on which end was down getting pounded. (think ski jump)I think carrying the camera horizontally is better?
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

In my generic SLR type backpack I used the provided partitions and blocked off the portion that the lens would hang down into. When the bag is worn my HC1 is sitting horizontal in the top of the bag.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

now we're getting somewhere.... tell me more.
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Have a look at the Lowepro Photo Runner. It is a decent size fanny pack and should have ample room. I used one on a ski trip and it worked fine. Because it is a fanny pack, you have full access to the camera while you sit in the chair on the way up. It has a double zipper that opens wide with a single pull.

Curt

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belt...to_Runner.aspx
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Curt .
I ended up with a fanny pack and a lowe pro slingshot. I'm going to take both and do a shootout (no pun intended:) to see which works the best.
Chaz Kempter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series