Wide Angle Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old December 27th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Wide Angle Lens

I just shot my kids xmass video and have realised I can't get a good angle in my living room to get all the shot I want. I also shoot in my basement alot with the same problem. What wide angle lens should I buy for the A1? How will they effect the lens hood? I like the little door it comes with and would hate to loose it if I don't have to.
David Stieferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Get a Sony VCL-HG0737X or VCL-HG0737Y. Latter is bigger than former, and is silver, but they both do essentially the same excellent job. 0.7x magnification, 37mm thread.

And yes you will lose the A1 hood, nothing much you can do about that. (Obviously you can still use the hood when you're not using the wideangle.

rgds
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The latter in actually black, to match your HC1/A1. I own it and it is amazing. I believe that the increased lens surface area will also provide a little better resolution and low-light performance; it makes sense. The lens is a tad heavy, which I actually like as it gives the camcorder more stability. I would stick to SONY lenses, they seem to provide superior results than most other. You can get it off of Amazon for $136.80. It's the cheapest according to www.shopping.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...28845?n=502394

A company actually made a lens hood that fits the "Y" lens. It was manufactures by Cavision and it goes $54. I don't recall the model or anything.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #4
Major Player

I am using a Canon WD-57 0.7x wideadaptor with my HC-1, as it was a leftover from my old GL1. With a step up ring it it delivers razor sharp images. When used with a QM91 battery the camcorder is also nicely ballanced.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks to all who replied
I see that these are "adaptors" and "conversion lenses" is this better than getting a whole new lens?
David Stieferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #6
New Boot

There are no interchangeable lenses in the HC1/A1, the most you can do is buying a conversion lens with 37 mm thread. The adaptors are to adapt other diameters (e.g., 59 mm) to these 37 mm.
Jaime Angoloti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Major Player

VCL-HG0737Y has no barrel distortion

I'd also like to sing the praises of this wide angle lens on the HDR-HC1. It is more compact and completely lacks the barrel distortion the Kenko KNW 05 Pro (52mm lens, 82mm frontside) I used on my Canon ZR to get about the same horizontal coverage. I shot some footage on a tripod and could see no noticable loss of resolution closely examining on my 50" 720p Sony display. The tests were without-full wide, vs with and zomed to same coverage.....full tele with the converter vs without at same coverage. I leave it on all the time. Don't forget to go into the menu and inform the IR/autofocus that you have attached the wide converter. I just wish it had a frontside thread.

It does make the camera even more front heavy so I cut a 25x100mm piece of thick Aluminum strip to attach the tripod block forward at the balance point. If you are careful on locating the mounting hole close to the loading door side and relieve the underside of the strip, you can open the tape loading door without having to remove the bracket/tripod block. Now the camera does not flop forward on its fluid head and the block is a sort of pistol grip. I use the Manfroto/Bogen Carbon One 3444 and a 3126 micro fluid head...the only thing I'm willing to carry on vacation.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Wide Angle Lens

Take a look at the Raynox lenses.
The link below shows comparisons of their diferenent wide angle lenes (pics and video).

http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd...dex.htm#hd5005
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Century Optics also makes a wide angle lens for the 37mm thread but it is not as good as the Sony one. The Century Optics one has quite a bit of distortion at it's widest setting.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

sony wide adapters

hi all,
some of you guys mentioned sony X and Y wide adapters for use on hdv cameras. I just discovered among my bits'n pieces a brand new (bought some time ago though) sony wide adapter with an H instead of the X / Y. would that be acceptable for my A1e so far as definition is concerned ? as I do not have a hd TV I am unable to tell picture quality etc. do hdv optics actually have properties designed especially for hdv or is it simply that sony/zeiss are better quality to start with. thanks HH
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Sony Wide Angle Lens

Does anyone know where detailed specs for the sony wide angle adaptor can be found? Or has anyone done resolution tests with theses lenses? I'm curious as to how they compare to other conversion lenses like the raynox ones. The raynox 7000pro claims a res of 540 lines/mm. Does anyone know how this compares with sony?
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series