A1U $500 rebate???? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 17th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Sony Rebate

I've purchased 3 cameras from B&H and countless accessories and I can attest to the fact that B&H's word is as good as golden. I plan to buy 3 HDV cameras from them this year (not sure which -> possibly the A1U) and I know B&H will take care of me.

Long live B&H and NAPP together... free shipping!!!!!!!!
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #32
Regular Crew

GREAT NEWS!!!

It's finally up!

http://www.rebate-zone.com/sonyb2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Posner
The sales associate gave you the best and most reliable info he had at the time which he'd received from his sales manager who got it from our buyer who got it from Sony USA. On behalf of each of them, I apologize for your inconvenience but it is Sony USA, and not B&H, to whom you should direct your discontent.
David Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #33
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gomez
GREAT NEWS!!!
It's finally up!
I think it here and it comes out there.
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #34
Tourist

Now that it's confirmed, WHY?

Does anyone know why sony has a $500 rebate on the a1u? I don't see any competition, at least not at their price point, for a similar hdv camcorder.
Are they clearing out existing inventory to make way for a new revision?
Has anyone posted info on a sony hdv roadmap?
Could this be a move to keep the A1U competitive in the face of a possible Canon GL2 hdv revision?
Thanks!
*I have to make a purchase decision by Feb 15th and don't want to be bummed out by a new revision on the 16th.
J M Taevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J M Taevs
Does anyone know why sony has a $500 rebate on the a1u? I don't see any competition, at least not at their price point, for a similar hdv camcorder.
Are they clearing out existing inventory to make way for a new revision?
Has anyone posted info on a sony hdv roadmap?
Could this be a move to keep the A1U competitive in the face of a possible Canon GL2 hdv revision?
Thanks!
*I have to make a purchase decision by Feb 15th and don't want to be bummed out by a new revision on the 16th.
Ok you're trying to read too much into this. Rebates are a common thing for Sony to do. All this is meant to do is to spur sales and interest in the A1. And just from the postings I have seen on this board alone, seems to be working.
The HC1 is selling like hotcakes, and the A1 isn't which is why the rebate most likely.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #36
New Boot

I stumbled upon this forum over the weekend and noticed the rebate topic which lead me on a low cost pursuit across the net in search of an HVR-A1U. In doing so I noticed numerous dirt cheap prices on the HVR-A1U

infinitphoto.com has it for $1599

prestigecamera $1799

preferredhpoto $1819

CCI Cameracity $1175

and several others in the sub $1500 range.

Are these scams or cameras without warranties? Anyone here gamble and go with one of the lower cost camera shops, any feedback, mistake?

Regards, John
John W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM   #37
Regular Crew

I use B&H only!

Most of those other companies "say" they have the cameras but unless you buy their overly inflated accessories, the camera mysteriously is not longer in stock!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #38
New Boot

On second thought I just finished reading a series of threads on some of the photo shops listed above.

It appears through research of others that expressphotos, infinitiphoto and bestpricecamera are all the same company with bait and switch as the game.

http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~th.../forum_id_~145

Other than B&H Photo what other authorized Sony dealers have any of you had good dealings with?

Regards, John
Old January 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I bought my 1st camera from onecall.com and had pretty good success with them.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 11:09 PM   #40
New Boot

Is Zoommania an authorized Sony reseller?

How does one know which companies are actually authorized without taking their word for it over the phone?

Regards, John
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:36 AM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W Cook
Is Zoommania an authorized Sony reseller?

How does one know which companies are actually authorized without taking their word for it over the phone?

Regards, John
John you can go to the Sony Rebate page and see a list of authorized dealers, and I can guarantee you that none of those low balling discount dealers are on them.
They are bait and switch, and for the most part most any online dealer based in Brooklyn NY will be so.

If you want the camera, I say go with B & H, as you won't find a better authorized dealer price out there for the most part.

B & H does such great volume business that they get specail deals on prices from manufacturers like Sony, that enable them to sell their products for lower than normal pricing. This is whay you will see them with links on their site saying, email me a lower price, as they can't advertise their actual selling price publicly.

Trust me on this go with B & H. as you will have peace of mind knowing that the camera isn't Grey Market (from Japan and not with US Warranty), and you will get reliable support and service from them.

Just remember the old addage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

You might luck out and save a few bucks somewhere else, but I guarantee you it won't be worth it.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; January 23rd, 2006 at 07:49 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot

Trust me on this go with B & H. as you will have peace of mind knowing that the camera isn't Grey Market (from Japan and not with US Warranty), and you will get reliable support and serice from them.

Just remember the old addage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

You might luck out and save a few bucks somewhere else, but I guarantee you it won't be worth it.
I agree with Michael. Plus you will save yourself a lot of headches by dealing with B&H. Their name would not get mentioned so much if they were NOT so reputable!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #43
Regular Crew

I have to chime in, as I too almost tried to go with some of the 'online/shipped from Brooklyn' stores - in the weeks before the holidays, the camera was $1699 on some of the 'price-hunter' sites, but then mysteriously went up to $1899 on several sites in one day.

After reading so many reviews on epinion.com and other sites, I decided that while getting a A1U for $1699 or even $1899 _seemed_ like it might be worth the trouble, buying it from B & H for $2499 was much easier on the mind and spirit. Plus, I live in NYC, and I was able to walk in, buy it and get my mitts on it - instant gratification!

The serendipitous and karmic pay-off has come in the form of this rebate, making the camera almost as 'affordable' as the online scammers purport to be.

Getting to the rebate form has been a mild annoyance - create an account on Sony online, enter a bunch of information, then download the rebate form - but it's obviously well worth doing: excluding tax, it's making the camera approximately $2000, actually within the range of the casual HC1 prices you see.

If you want to buy this camera, Go with B & H before the rebate ends and don't look back.
Bill McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:19 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Just bought the A1U! And of course from B&H.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #45
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by John W Cook
On second thought I just finished reading a series of threads on some of the photo shops listed above.
I advise adding www.resellerratings.com/ to your bookmarks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series