A1U vs. 3-chip SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 26th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1U vs. 3-chip SD

Hi, how is the A1U's 1 chip CMOS Standard Definition DV and DVCAM recording quality compared to SD 3 chip cameras?

I plan to replace my 1 chip SD sony cam and are curious about the improvements in the SD quality I will gain (when not shooting in HD)

thanks!
Pete Tews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't intend on being mean, but I recommend you do a search before posting such inquiries. That topic has been discussed in depth recently.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58318

I hope you find what you're looking for there. :)

As far as SD improvements, they're minimal. Although there has been plenty of arguments favoring the SD quality of HDV downconverted footage over regular SD, it is still quite subjective. DVCAM is intended to ensure more reliability through less dropouts. The main advantage of DVCAM over regular SD is in the audio deparment; where the audio acquired is uncompressed.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks!

And yes, should have used the search feature - my typing was faster than my thinking...
Pete Tews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series