Can the HVR-A1 record at 24 fps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1
New Boot

Can the HVR-A1 record at 24 fps

Hi
I was surfing on the net looking for bargain HDV cameras, and I have found in B&H site the following sentence regarding the A1:
'When it is selected to record in HDV it can record 60i, 30p or 24 frames per second'.
Is it true? Have the A1 the capabilities to shoot real 24fps?
If so, is good the quality of the footage?
I thinked that no one of the Sony HDV models have this capability, so far.
I am currently shooting with a Panasonic DVX-100, and I love its results shooting at 24 fps.
Is the A1 as good as DVX-100 at 24 fps?
If so, I think I have found 'the camera'. Small size and 24 fps. Perfect for my documentary work.
Vincent Sanchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The short answer is no, it will not record at true 24fps. Check out this other thread, it should tell you all you need to know:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56590
Evan Dowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Vincent,

I don't believe that the A1 can shoot in "real" 24p; it uses an effect that creates 24 fps through a complicated manipulation of its native ability... at least that's my understanding. It isn't a "real" 24p camera, though.

Hope that helps -

DH
Dave Herzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's called Cineframe 24. It has been criticized by many and also praised by many. In my personal opinion, I think it does a really good job at replicating the 24p look. However, I don't see any reason to use it nowadays. Why use the 24p look when you can get much better results with other modes?
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series