DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   A1 wireless lavalier??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/60271-a1-wireless-lavalier.html)

Cainan Baladez February 9th, 2006 11:57 AM

A1 wireless lavalier???

With this incredible rebate I decided to buy tha A1.
Now I'm loking for the acessorys.
I was thinkink to get an extra battery, the "x" wide angle lens and an inexpensive wireless lavalier (vhf).

And this last one i can't decide:

What's the best brand?
Azden and tha Audio Techica have two under the 129$ -150$.
Sony has the chepeast one about 99$.
And Shure have one thast1s almost reach the UHF mics 284$.

Anyone have some clue about this question.

ANOTHER QUESTION VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME:
I can't found the real weight of the box of the a1, with all the itens included.
BH just have the Weight of the camcorder. But i'm really need to know the total weight o f the box?

Can anyone help me.

Sorry for my english. I didnīt practice for a long time.
Thanks

Justyn Rowe February 12th, 2006 12:36 PM

Don't waste your money on cheap wireless. You'd be better off getting a wired mike or booming. These mikes have one channel usually... and you have to be within like 20 feet or less to get a good solid signal. You'll probably get cross talk and feedback/dropouts all the time.

For wireless, the ones to get are lectrosonics. They have an entry level set for around 900 that is awesome. I personally have the 95 lectros which cost around 2500. The 195s are great now for the same price of 2500. These systems have 99 channels and good for noisy locations and places with feedback/crosstalk. I also believe that Sennheiser makes a pretty nice unit in the 500-600 range.

A friend of mine bought the cheap wireless and it was garbage. I shot in a conventional hall and I was picking up cell phones... walkie talkies and everything else. The cheap ones would only be good under extremely controlled conditions with minimal interferance and feedback. I'd really think about the quality you want...save and then get something that is worth the money. You get what you pay for.. and a good wireless will last a long long time. I've had mine for 5 years now.

Alexander Karol February 12th, 2006 01:17 PM

I beg to differ, the Audio-Technica PRO 88W wireless microphone system has yieleded very good results for the price. At only a little over $100, you can't really compare anything to it value-wise. Guy Bruner I used it quite a lot during CES and I was amazed at the results.

Robert Young February 12th, 2006 04:25 PM

I've had good luck with the Sony wireless systems. The package, either lavelier or handheld, runs about $400+ on B&H. You can switch the transmitter frequencies and choose between "short" range and "long " range, tho I have never actually tested the range.
I have used this system at events that were packed with camera and sound guys, cellphones, walkie talkies, etc. and have not had problems with interference.
Bob

Justyn Rowe February 12th, 2006 06:57 PM

That's some good news that there are good cheap alternatives, but I'll stick with the pro altenatives since I know they are rock solid under all circumstances, and I've yet to find a pro audio guy using anything in the consumer rank but again, I probably missed the mark since the request was for cheap alternatives.

I do believe that you do get what you pay for with audio for sure. Doing the superbowl a few years ago, there was a commission set up for just wireless transmissions and I'd have been SOL without the letros. These are also wireless devices that have a quarter of a mile of reception and I doubt if anything on this thread has even a 100' radius with redundacy.. and two antennas receiving info constantly.. so that if one goes down the other picks it up instantly.

Alexander Karol February 12th, 2006 07:15 PM

That is for sure Justyn, you get what you pay for. But people who are using the HVR-A1 are already in another market. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to pay more for your audio setup than for the actual camcorder. I am sure that those who can afford the HVR-Z1 and higher camcorders can bank out a lot more for audio.

Justyn Rowe February 12th, 2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander Karol
That is for sure Justyn, you get what you pay for. But people who are using the HVR-A1 are already in another market. I mean, it wouldn't make sense to pay more for your audio setup than for the actual camcorder. I am sure that those who can afford the HVR-Z1 and higher camcorders can bank out a lot more for audio.

Alexander, you are totally right there! I sometimes get caught up the best audio and it's because I get called on it to do it. I even have to draw the friggin line sometimes. I went to get a new stereo M/S mike and I was pushed by most of the people I know to buy the Senken which is awesome, but it's also 2K. I opted for the AT 835ST and it's an awesome mike. Even my buddy said he could only tell a minor difference.. and that for up to 4 feet away from the subject, it's comperable to the much trusted mono 416 by Sennheiser. I highly recommend the Phantom powered AT stereo M/S mikes for great stereo recording. It's also nice that its XLR and a single body with 2 elements. I picked mine up on Ebay for 450.

Thanks for grounding me a bit. I do think that maybe 900 is too much for most with this camera as their means, but for others the Letros at that price are just such a damn nice hammers. Rugid and working day in and day out. A client drops the transmitter... well it'll keep on working as the casing is metal. Doubt if the others will do the same. I really think I could even hammer nails with the receiver...

One more thing, I thought that the onboard mike on the Sony is pretty solid. Saw some footage last night and it was pretty amazing on an HD monitor. For the cash.. very hard to beat it.. Let's see what the Sanyo looks like, and what Panny has to offer in this price break. Canon.. my old time favorite, is really doing some strange stuff this time around.... Not sure on them!