Thoughts on upgrading to the HC1 from the vx2100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Chris, that's my thought - getting a smaller cam that's less conspicuous! Even though it's primarily family video, yes I take it seriously! I take pride in documenting the growth of my children and the vx produces some great video! The FX is my "last" resort - I would like to stay with a smaller cam though. I will look into the A1U as you have suggested.

Thanks everyone for all your input!!!
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well, I have had a chance to get my hands on both the HC1 and the FX1. I was not able to record, capture, and output on my NLE, but I was able to touch and play with both cams. I must say the FX seems far superior to the HC to me - coming from the vx2100.

Questions: How easy it is to use the touch screen on the HC1? It seems to be very cumbersome to adjust everything on the fly? It appears that many "moments" can be lost while trying to adapt to the environment with the lack of manual controls on the HC. I became very efficient in changing the camera to match the surroundings in manual mode with the vx2100. (I very rarely use auto mode) It appears the FX has the same, and a great deal more manual settings available on the fly.

What kind of "learning curve" is involved with moving from the vx2100 to the FX1? Thanks again everyone for your feedback!
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Vilevac
Well, I have had a chance to get my hands on both the HC1 and the FX1. I was not able to record, capture, and output on my NLE, but I was able to touch and play with both cams. I must say the FX seems far superior to the HC to me - coming from the vx2100.

Questions: How easy it is to use the touch screen on the HC1? It seems to be very cumbersome to adjust everything on the fly? It appears that many "moments" can be lost while trying to adapt to the environment with the lack of manual controls on the HC. I became very efficient in changing the camera to match the surroundings in manual mode with the vx2100. (I very rarely use auto mode) It appears the FX has the same, and a great deal more manual settings available on the fly.

What kind of "learning curve" is involved with moving from the vx2100 to the FX1? Thanks again everyone for your feedback!
Ease of use- I don't like touch screens because you have to have the display open to make adjustments, and then trying to touch things right with my big fingers--ugh. I like the large scroll wheel on the FX1.

As far as VX to FX1 learning curve, there just isn't a whole lot of difference. Very similar to the VX. You also have the ability to store 6 different presets. And on shot transition you can set focus, exposure, and zoom, etc., at one setting, and then set adjustments for any and all of those in a second setting. The camera will then automatically adjust between the two at an interval of between 1 and 15 seconds.
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Chris, I think I would have to agree with you on the lcd issue. How is it possible to adjust on the fly by using the touch screen?

So, is it safe to assume I can rule out the HC1 and go for the FX1? I just wish there was a cam a little smaller - like the size of the PDX10!

Thanks again Chris for your feedback..
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, remember in the 80's we were shooting with VHS rigs bigger than the FX1 !
Old February 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #21
Regular Crew

LOL! How true!
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series