HC1 or A1U? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #16
New Boot

Actually another difference that I caught was the button on the right side of the lens barrel. On the HC1 it is a flash adjust button (?). But on the A1U, it is a user assignable button. HUGE!
I got this through documentation so if an owner can verify this, I would love to know.
Jon Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #17
New Boot

meaning you can program the buttons? No way!
Aric Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I forgot about bottom loading issue. That is big ith the XLR adapters. So go A1U. They do have tripod adapters to allow tape change on tripod, but that won't work well with XLR adapter.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Hendrix
Still $500 more. The HC1 goes for 1499 and B&H. $500 could buy a lot of accessories. :)
Like a different computer?

Editing without a second internal dedicated media drive, or the abolity to create a second firewire bus is a huge factor in DV, and certainly a bigger factor when working with FCP 5 which you need to native HDV editing.

A single firewire bus iMac is NOT optimal.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #20
New Boot

Why is a B&W viewfinder better than a color one?

Because you can focus more accurately...if you use the manual focus.
Vincent Sanchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM   #21
New Boot

Sorry, I missed the question about Full Scan.

Makes possible to record by all pixels regardless of the zoom possition.
Vincent Sanchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM   #22
New Boot

OK, now I'm wondering if my skill level is even up to the task for this camera. I'll be living in China for about 10 months to teach English, and I wanted to bring back some good HDV footage to use for a short documentary on Student University Life in China. I like the idea of having lots of controls, but I don't even know where to start learning. I'm used to a PV-GS150! This will be a big leap forward! haha.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'd suggest putting an emphasis on practicing manual focusing first (and using the push auto - at least I hope an A1U has push auto, but I'm not 100% certain). Shooting HD is much more sensitive than SD to the precision of focusing (a good reason to want the B/W viewfinder). It's like anything else, put your mind to it, practice, and you'll keep improving your skills.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:12 PM   #24
Regular Crew

full scan / underscan: shows really everything of the recorded image. Consumer Cams and even an XL2 only show the action / title safe area plus some additional pixels in the VF, so you simply donīt see whatīs up on the edges! p.ex. if the mic is in at the edge you donīt see it or you need an additional underscan control Monitor to check this.
Therefore the usable image area decreases about 15 - 20%, real resolution / pixel loss.
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:20 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
OK, now I'm wondering if my skill level is even up to the task for this camera. I'll be living in China for about 10 months to teach English, and I wanted to bring back some good HDV footage to use for a short documentary on Student University Life in China. I like the idea of having lots of controls, but I don't even know where to start learning. I'm used to a PV-GS150! This will be a big leap forward! haha.
You are absolutely up to it--- even if you have to put onfull auto. Don't let techno freaks destroy your opportunity to get some great hdv footage. Just shoot it and enjoy it.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
You are absolutely up to it--- even if you have to put onfull auto. Don't let techno freaks destroy your opportunity to get some great hdv footage. Just shoot it and enjoy it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm leaning towards the A1U. Now I just have to get myself ready to edit HDV on a iMac 17". I guess since iMovie is HDV ready, why would it totally tax my system out in FCP?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm leaning towards the A1U. Now I just have to get myself ready to edit HDV on a iMac 17". I guess since iMovie is HDV ready, why would it totally tax my system out in FCP?

I'm a PC man myself- so someone else will have to give you heads up there. But if system on Imac isn't up to it, you can shoot HDV, and downconvert to DV temporarily, as you do your initial shooting. I'm thinking that you're going to have access to some pretty good deals in PC equipment, DV equipment, and software while abroad, and if not, there is nothing to say you can't do your edit when you get back..
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #28
Regular Crew

B/W viewfinder: As stated, it is much easier to focus when watching something in B/W as contrast and edges are more evident. You'll see what I am talking about.

The neat thing about the A1, is that you can have both, the viewfinder and LCD, simultaneously on at the same time. This provides you the ability of using the B/W VF for focusing, while being able to see the colors your frame is emcompassing. Really convenient!

Assignable button: I definetely forgot to mention that on my list of main features, but that is indeed true. You can assign a function to that button quite easily such as stabilization, white balance, zebra, etc. Very, very useful. I recommend you assign it to white balance as it will be something you'll constantly be tweaking.
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Also, does anyone edit HDV in FCP 5 with an iMac G5? If so, tell me your experiences with it. Thanks.
a bit delayed with the response, but im sure you dont mind.

pretty good for what its doing. strongly suggest against multitracking and massive effects. even slower going through an intermediate codec. just make sure you master in another codec, such as dvcpro hd so you dont get some crazy artifacting.

but heck, i dont care, its a mac :-)
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #30
Major Player

China

Hi Alex:

Been to China. You are definitely up to the A1. In 10 months, you will grow into the camera, and with the extras on it, and the extra 500 bucks, you will thank yourself for the extra margin the camera will give you.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series